Union jubilee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al 546

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently purchased an old but in very good nick union jubilee. Where can I buy a four jaw chuck , I'm pretty sure my thread size is 1 inch by 10 tpi, I'm aware some of them came with 8 tpi. Or should I buy a adaptor that will allow me to use more common sized fittings?

Hi,

You've got a nice lathe; I owned a Jubilee before buying my Graduate.

For lathe mandrel sizes please see this;

Woodturning lathe Spindle Thread Sizes

I bought a Sorby Patriot chuck for my Graduate but these are expensive even spare different sizes of jaws are also expensive.

Patriot Chuck

Buying the lathe is just the start; it's easy to run up a huge bill buying accessories. If you want to buy secondhand it could be a struggle because chucks are usually sold with their lathe. Engineering chucks are available secondhand but it's a problem getting the thread size you need.

Adaptors are excellent if you can find the size you need but even with adaptor it can be costly still having to buy a chuck.

https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/No...XycnVvcAuJk_zUbvcOwTF_OM9CKhnHLkaAossEALw_wcB

Good luck.

Kind regards, Colin.

Have a look in the for sale section. Ian was selling a couple of lathes and mentioned that he had some chucks etc to sell when the lathes had gone. He may well have some. I can't remember the username fhj........

Have a look in the for sale section. Ian was selling a couple of lathes and mentioned that he had some chucks etc to sell when the lathes had gone. He may well have some. I can't remember the username fhj........
Morning, thanks for your reply. I'm new on here and can't find the for sale section. Where should I be looking?

Morning, thanks for your reply. I'm new on here and can't find the for sale section. Where should I be looking?
Please ignore my reply, as I posted the two above answers came up on my tablet. After looking at my options I'm going to buy an adaptor and go to m33 then there's plenty of choice. When I'm up and running what ever I make first I will send you picture. Many thanks

Morning Paul, thanks, I checked out the machinery 4 wood site last night and decided to go down this route, so you've confirmed my decision. Cheers Al

I have a number of 1" 10tpi chucks if you are still after any?
I am too new to advertise them on the 'for sale' forum page. Hopefully, I can be a bit more active and then become eligible ot sell them here.

Hi, I've recently purchased an old but in very good nick union jubilee. Where can I buy a four jaw chuck , I'm pretty sure my thread size is 1 inch by 10 tpi, I'm aware some of them came with 8 tpi. Or should I buy a adaptor that will allow me to use more common sized fittings?
I have a Record SC3 with jawsand a faceplate which has a 1" x 10 tpi thread for sale.

If you go down the adapter route, check it after you get it. I bought one new to adapt a record or sorby chuck (I forget) to a Jubilee and it wasn't correctly designed. The registration bore was loose on the spindle so even though the thread matched, it never centred correctly and vibrated.
Two in a row had the same defect and had to be refunded.
The thread only holds it on. It's the straight and flat sections that line it up.

Back