union jubilee lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerot

Reaction score
hi I'm new to this forum having found it through a search could one of you knowledgeable people help me please I have a union jubilee lathe but my spindle is a 1 1/2 6tpi I'm trying to change the bearings but the bearings and pulley are really tight as in won't move I have removed all grub screws but nothing so I'm wondering what is going on would it be possible for someone to give me the measurements of the spindle for the jubilee and also the graduate just so I can compare I know some jubilees had heavy duty spindles in the 50s and the bearings seem the right type for the heavy duty version any help would be appreciated

keith (hammer)

Hi Keith
I have one of these "heavy duty" jubilee lathes the bearing a Timken taper rollers 19150 cone and 19268 cup. They are tight fit on both inboard and outboard ends also the pulley has a large outer diameter with a very narrow section through which the securing grub screw clamps onto the spindle, this makes it very easy to tilt and jam on on the spindle when you try an pase the spindle through it.The spindle comes out from the inboard side with the cone attached to the spindle, the outboard cone remains in the headstock as the spindle passes through it once you have removed the outboard retaining collar . The two bearing locating "cylinders" can be left in situ as the spindle is clearance fit , or should be! However the spindle will gall and stick like that stuff to a blanket if the aluminium pulley tilts on the spindle, its not a very close fit and seems to rely on the grub screw to pull it into alignment. Beware of this, as your efforts to drive the spindle out will result in the pulley being battered into the casting of the headstock, as it and the spindle move as a unit. Once you have got spindle free of its tight fit in the outboard cone and the sliding fit in the pulley, it should come out over the bed with the cone firmly attached to the inbooard end, you will need a decent bearing puller/splitter to get it off, or resort to destroying it and grinding off the inner race, the two cups and the loose cone can be tapped out of the headstock.As ever take your time and use a rubber deadblow hammer or at least a block of wood to protect the threads on the outboard end, a few clumps with a heavy hammer are much better than a rapid beating with alight hammer. I hope this helps, but pm me if you need any more info
best regards

Paul

thanks for the reply your advise worked a treat thank you. All ready for new bearings now

keith

Hi Keith,
Glad you had a result,rhese old ladies can be b*****s after years of abuse and neglect. With new bearings the lady will be fit for anither fifty years or so and anything Graduate related will fit.
regards Paul

Back