Union Graduate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith 66

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got a Union graduate delivered today, part of a pile of machines blagged from a School D&T workshop closure. Its in good nick & got a lot of bits with it, looking forward to learning the ropes!

I've seen so many bits of equipment for sale that have been described as ex school / college.

What I'd like to know is - how do people get to know about these ex-school purchases in the first place? When I bought my graduate, the seller had an ex-hospital Harrison M300, with spare chucks etc, all like new. He reckoned he got the lot for the price of the chucks alone.

So I'd love to get a chance of buying some kit like that, but where to start?

Anyway, good luck with your purchase. The graduate is a well respected bit of kit.

K

Hi
this is how I got my wood working union grad lathe - school converted 2 class rooms - 1950s wood and metal rooms to construction and motor vehicles (that where I came in). In all 5 metal lathes and 2 wood lathes + pillar drills, sanding belts, band saws, heavy duty hack saws; all are stored outside in a metal container together with 12/14 wooden metal workers benches and the double vice benches from the classes sat on the grass. So I asked for one and was given permission to take one of the lathes and a few of the benches. the rest sadly are sat in the container and the benches on the grass. yes ! the stuff that gets thrown away metal casting sets, blacksmith forge. I took as much as I could, just could not see it all go rusty and rot, the rest of the benches I covered with a big tarpaulin. Wish I had a bigger garage. Sad but true bet they replace them in years to come with far eastern rubbish.

It makes one mad doesn't it? They either don't know the value of these things or just don't care. Chuck them out to rust away. I remember that happened in a school near me when they stopped the pottery classes - 2 kilns just left outside. These days the schools have more control over their budgets so you'd think they'd try to recoup as much as they can.
All the same, I'd like to be in the position where stuff is being thrown out and there for the taking.

K

Back