Union graduate spindle and bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil captain

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have recently bought an old Union graduate, I’ve done a variable speed conversion, I just bought a Sorby patriot chuck but when I put it on inboard there is a wobble! I noticed that the thread is damaged so I gently cleaned it with a small file, but no good. I’m thinking new spindle & bearings? Any advice or guidance? Neil

I’d clock the spindle initially and check it is the spindle that’s out and not a dodgy chuck.
If it has the old bearings that need oiling, I would change them for sealed for life bearings. It’s not very difficult to do. I’d also replace the belt at the same time. Often vibrating results from the belt taking a ‘set’ from being left in the same place for a long time. Worst case if you need a new spindle these chaps will sell you one:

http://www.woodturninglathes.co.uk/graduate_spares.html

Thanks deema, I have brought the tool rest up close to the thread, it’s not running true, the previous owner had it set up as a disc sander only on outboard, I am relatively new to woodturning so I’m taking small steps, ( I am a qualified bench joiner with my own large fully equipped workshop)
LRE are closed due to current restrictions,
As are grandmtools, unless someone on here any spare parts I’ll have to wait till things are back to some sort of normal.

The bearings and belt you need are just standard off the shelf items, you can get them from most places (order online, I tend to use BearingsRUs based in Huddersfield for belts and bearings). I can’t remember what they are, but once you’ve got the old ones out the number is on them. I’d buy SKF or similar high quality bearings with 2RS (two rubber shields)

For a copy of the manual of you don’t have one it’s here
http://www.lkctraining.co.uk/S7-WoodLat ... ndbook.pdf

The thread not running true doesn’t matter too much ( within reason) the chuck must go onto the register fully and then bottom out against the spindle...that should pull the chuck up straight.
I have also had a faulty patriot chuck before...sorby’s changed it without a murmur ...that wouldn’t run true

Did you see the price of a replacement spindle? More than I paid for my graduate bowl lathe complete with disc sander table and 14" outboard faceplate.
I also bought a spindle off ebay for around £20. I use it in the chuck of my metal lathe, a Colchester master. If allows me to mount my graduate chuck on the Colchester so I can turn awkward, out of balance wood. Then the work goes back on the graduate for continuing the turning, which is more convenient. The Colchester is good though, 3 HP and speed down to around 50 rpm via a gearbox.
Anyway, back to the main point -- keep searching the used market, these things are available at times.

K

Back