Union Graduate rebuild

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. That's why I was thinking of sticking the inverter under the motor plate - there's quite a bit of room down there. I can fit a metal "baffle" above it to keep any dust from dropping down but given there was very little dust in there when I stripped it down I don't think too much gets in there. I'm using the bosch rexroth inverter which has the on/off and speed control on a flylead so I'm going to mount it in the original switchgear hole. May take some jiggery pokery as I'm going to try to get a digital speed readout in there as well. I already have a nova chuck so I may just get an adapter for that for the time being - the adapter is right and left threaded too. Must say I'm looking forward to having a closer look at it, must be an impressive bit of machining! Sorby do a companion chuck as well in direct thread which works out cheaper than the whole setup. Now I've started on the nova/patriot path I want to stick with it for jaw interchangeability,

I've bought a slightly rough (read-very rough!) graduate on ebay to do up to be my "forever" lathe. It's big enough and heavy enough to tackle anything I'm going to want to do. It all started when the bearings gave up on my myford's motor. I bought a 3 phase motor and inverter to make it variable speed, then spotted this union lathe about 20 miles from me. Man maths prevailed and I decided I could better use the inverter and 3 phase motor in it rather than my myford.... Replaced the motor in the myford with a 240v one so I could continue turning while I got the big 'un running. It's not going to be up to the standards of one of wallace's wadkin resto's but it should look pretty when I'm done! So without further ado, here she is:
2016-11-06_10-43-59
20161103_184126

The Drive centre was firmly rusted in. Progressively bigger hammers took care of that. I then set about removing the spindle. After much lump hammer action, it was all moving apart from the outboard spacer. The one that holds it all in! I drilled and tapped the two existing holes in it to get a puller on it:
20161106_141934

I got so much tension on it I was worried about stripping the threads. Called for reinforcements - dad with the propane gun! Tapped it all through from the inboard side so we could get heat directly on the offending part:
20161106_163437

Once it had cooled I could get a man sized puller on it!
20161106_211217

It still put up a fight but its off now. I've collected pretty much all the bits I need for it already, except the tailstock. One will turn up somewhere. The drive pulleys are both damaged but I can hopefully get them welded. The only other bit I seem to be missing is the turnbuckle arrangement that tensions the motor. I'm sure I can fabricate something for that though if I can get some measurements.
I have been looking for one like yours with both beds but same condition ( in need of some TLC ) and can not find any. Excuse my bluntness but what did you pay for it ??

It was a long time ago but I think it was about £150. The guy I got it from is always selling them on Facebook. He's a total pain in the backside to deal with though.

Latest posts

Back