Union Graduate conversion advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexey

Reaction score
Hi

Recently bought a Union Graduate Lathe with a 3 phase 440/240v volt gryphon motor and I want to set up as single phase with variable speed. So any help or advice on how it can be rewired to delta to run with an inverter would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alexey

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_153942089~3.jpg
    IMG_20191227_153942089~3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 275
The motor plate indicates that it can be reconfigured as delta. Usually there is a terminal box which you can open and reconfigure the links. If you are lucky the information on the links is on the inside of the cover plate. Have you looked at this?

A small VFD would probably be your best bet. The only complication is that the output of the VFD usually has to be connected directly to the motor and the switchgear is rewired to input to the VFD. I bought a kit (to do a milling machine but the principle is the same) from Direct Drives. It gave on/off, reverse and a speed control .

Stick a VFD on it. Speaking from bitter experience, if you're going the DIY route I'd get one of these. Invertek are fantastically easy to set up, the wiring diagrams make sense, and that one is IP66 so you won't have to build an enclosure to keep the dust out. Trust me - in time saved, its worth the extra. Its also a 1.5 KW which means you can run the 0.75kw motor for now, but it will support the inevitable upgrade to a more powerful motor.
Like I say, bitter experience :lol:

Latest posts

Back