Unexpected windfall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I have received a little bit of good news regarding a pension scheme I had forgotten I even had. I can either take £434 a year in pensions or take a lump sum of just under 10K. If I took the pension offer I would lose most of it to the benefits agency (Pips), So myself and Mrs Garno have decided to cash in :D

Myself and the little woman will both draw £1000 each, new vacuum, dishwasher and washing machine for her and tools for myself. At the moment I have the bedroom converted into a workshop (poor health) and as such have no space left, so I am going to unclutter the small (outhouse) storage shed and get my first lathe.

I am going to pass on the entry level machines (£200 - £300) and go straight in at a level that will not need upgrading in the next few years. I have never used a lathe before so I really do not know what is a good deal opposed to a bad deal. I have seen 2 packages in Axminster tools that look to me to be ok https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... age-720703 and https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... age-720705 I will also be buying a visor and tools as shown in the Frequently Bought Together section in the second link.

It will be another 4 - 5 weeks before we have the money hence me looking around now, what I would like to know is are either of those packages worth getting or should I really be setting my sights elsewhere? I do not need legs as I have a good sturdy table that I can use. I also envisage that after the first few goes on it that I will not be making spindles but would like to be able to make some vases 8" - 10"

Many thanks
Garno

John Brown":2wbe30jc said:
My wife would probably crucify me if I suggested white goods were specifically for her, but good luck to you!

I was thinking most peoples wifes would think the same thing!

I hope you treat her to something for her hobbies too, Garno. I doubt that emptying the dishwasher, vaccuming and washing clothes count!

I would look around for used deals as you often get many of the extras that will eat into your windfall, gouges, sharpening system and grinder, chucks, measurung calipers the list can be endless and expensive if buying new - being a cash buyer puts you in a strong position. Have a look on the AWGB site often good deals on here. http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php
Also worth doing a one or two day course to give you a good start, you could take the good lady and make a trip out of it?

Lazurus":1zr9fldo said:
I would look around for used deals as you often get many of the extras that will eat into your windfall, gouges, sharpening system and grinder, chucks, measurung calipers the list can be endless and expensive if buying new - being a cash buyer puts you in a strong position. Have a look on the AWGB site often good deals on here. http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php
Also worth doing a one or two day course to give you a good start, you could take the good lady and make a trip out of it?

Thanks Lazurus,
I really think it may be worth while if I compiled a list of needed things before choosing a lathe. TBH I had only thought of a chuck and that was only because the Axminster package came with one.

Lazurus":3azippdd said:
http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,6111.0/topicseen.html

A prime example just posted with loads of bits to go. :D

I have just registered thanks for the link :D

transatlantic":2mw7ul8e said:
John Brown":2mw7ul8e said:
I hope you treat her to something for her hobbies too, Garno. I doubt that emptying the dishwasher, vaccuming and washing clothes count!

What, like some personalised rubber gloves :D

Seriously though, if she doesn’t want anything else make her something personal to show you care.

like a properly sized rubber glove drying stand or a nice maple clamp for getting all that greasy water out of her scouring pad :p

RichardG":3har1mml said:
transatlantic":3har1mml said:
John Brown":3har1mml said:

What, like some personalised rubber gloves :D

Seriously though, if she doesn’t want anything else make her something personal to show you care.

I will take out the additional warranties to make them all 3 years, If that doesn't show her I care nothing will :D

The white goods are in addition to the £1000 I also have something else I am looking into for us both to share.

I've got a Jet 1220vs you may be interested in.? Purchased brand new by me from Axminster Tools. It'll come with so much other stuff you wouldn't believe what i'm including... chisels, live centres, 4&2 prong drives, pen mandrels (and god knows how many bushings sets...), loads and loads of various wood blanks for turning (plus some acrylics too), loads of various sanding papers/meshes, friction polishes, waxes.... blah blah blahhhh. Its a shame you're so far away though. You could treat your better half to a 'day' out and come visit and have a look at it all.? :wink: (hammer)

From your two choices - either will be a good choice:

1. Axminster Craft AC305WL
2. Axminster Craft AC355WL

I would caution against buying the Axminster SK100 chuck with the AC305WL. The Record Power SC4 is a better choice because you can change the insert at a later date e.g. to get M33 x 3.5 - in this way your first chuck won't be obsolete when you upgrade. Yandles or D&M usually have this chuck at a good price.

The AC355WL has the advantage of having M33 x 3.5 spindle so your chuck will most likely also fit when you upgrade. It's hard to fault this lathe at the price. It compares well with the Trade AT350WL which comes with an induction (so brushless motor). Obviously as the price increases, so does the quality too, so it's a difficult choice. If you compare the AC355WL lathe vs lathe/chuck price the extra £95 gets you the SK100 chuck which is less than the RP SC4 kit (both are good chucks). AT350WL is also priced uncomfortably close to RP Coronet Herald which also has a rotating headstock...

I don't want to suggest spending too much money, but do also consider the RP Coronet Herald - you have the advantage of getting the leg package and Robert Sorby tools as part of a Yandles "deal" too. For this I would still opt for the RP SC4 as it's better than the SC3. At this level (prices increase rapidly too) you also get a rotating headstock and an induction motor etc. Also deals available at Biven Machinery (not a million miles away?) for RP Coronet Herald. There is also the option of an extension and big bowl attachment at a later date...

I wouldn't be pressured into getting a chuck from day one, but it is probably unrealistic to think that you will be able to forgo the need for one at a later date. A really good option would be to buy a S/H lathe but read the small print as Record Power guarantee is not transferable to a new owner e.g. "you" whereas the Axminster warranty is for the "machine" - so buying it S/H (for you) with a warranty is less of a risk IMHO.

Back