Unexpected drawback to ear defenders!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
So earlier last week, I went out to the bench and put on my ear defenders to do some routing.

When I came to take them off there was a sharp-ish pain in the top of my right ear. initially it was just an itch, but it soon got painful and tingly, spread to the whole ear, and then down my jawline. It lasted for about three days, but it's gone now.

I think I was bitten by a spider hiding in the earmuff.

:-(

E.

Bad luck Eric.
A wasps nest in a welly is also an unexpected hazard I once encountered. :shock: But now we have all been warned only a fool would fail to check his earmuffs too :D .
Perhaps this little joke will take the sting out of the experience.
What do you call a spider with no legs...a raisin!

I am stung at least once every couple of years in my workshop as Queen Wasps seem to like over winter in here.

I have found them in a box of disposable gloves, on the edge of timber in the racks ( I nearly fell of the ladder that time as well as the bit of wood was on the top shelf ) and the near miss of last year was when I found one in my spray mask.

Tom

A couple of years ago SWMBO put on a dust mask that had a ladybird hiding in it. My ears are still ringing from the scream she let out and I honestly never knew anyone, let alone my missus, could jump that high. It's so funny, she has to carefully check a mask every time she put it's on now.

I once found myself in Greece. It was the first night of the holiday and a group of us were standing round drinking Retsina and making polite conversation. One chap in the group had a fake comedy hairy scary spider on the front of his shirt. It was the size of a fist and obviously a joke.

Until it started crawling up his chest.

So I nipped into the nearest phone booth, got changed and slapped his chest to dislodge it, grabbed the nearest something,(plate, magazine, profligate Greek banker, I can't remember what) scooped it up and tossed it over the balcony whereupon it presumably became someone else's problem. Then I screamed like a girl. Probably.
I think the bloke didn't trust me for the rest of the holiday. All the women thought I was a hero. Until I screamed, anyway.
S

Ouch... Whenever I haven't been in the workshop for awhile, I nearly always check under the foam in my ear defenders to make sure nothing in there. Have no idea why I started doing it (although thinking about it now, it might go back to the snake & the router mat incident) and I always laugh at myself when I do, thinking what a . I'm being but NOW after reading this I don't feel so bad. In fact think I'll check more often.

A large tuperware type box or even a stacking crate with a close fitting lid is ideal for storing PPE in, where there is a chance it can get damaged from whatever.

nev":1l2q6np6 said:
Ouch
That got me wondering how common spider bites were, as i normally just grab em and defenestrate them . found this and now wish i hadnt :shock:
What do you reckon Eric - a no.12? cross or garden spider?

Number 14 in that list....MONEY SPIDERS!!!!!!

One of them nearly took my head off a few years back. As it came for my neck I relied on my reflexes. The garden rake I was using instantly became a Crimson Blade Staff, and 2 swipes later the Goliath Money Spider was sent spinning into the garden shredder. Only my Ninja training saved my life.

Beware the Money Spider!

Do me a favour!! :roll:

Roy

Eric The Viking":yodhub3m said:
So earlier last week, I went out to the bench and put on my ear defenders to do some routing.

When I came to take them off there was a sharp-ish pain in the top of my right ear. initially it was just an itch, but it soon got painful and tingly, spread to the whole ear, and then down my jawline. It lasted for about three days, but it's gone now.

I think I was bitten by a spider hiding in the earmuff.

:-(

E.

I have heard of these before Eric!! Be afraid, be VERY afraid!!

They could well be "muff diving spiders" :twisted: :twisted:

My last encounter was with a mouse that made its nest in my JSP mask and I had to completely dismantle it, disinfect it and remantle it again. Pee/poo all over the cap. Got the little git and its mate though :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back