uneven surface planer / thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am experiencing difficulty with my Metabo planer.

I am getting an uneven surface on the timber namely raised lines, I feed the the wood in shallow passes so I can't understand why this happens, also although my fence is set 90 degrees to the table I am not getting a perfectly square edge. Can anyone advise please.

Harry.

If the cutters are not projecting the same amount then your going to get an un-square edge. Use a pice of timber with a pencil line on it set on a determined point at each end of the blades and see how much travel you have at each end when you rotate the cutter block by hand.
Haven't done any machining for a while but ridges normally mean material going through too quick. Slower speeds for hardwoods.

You can get rid of dink lines by moving one blade 1 mill to the left or right that will get rid

If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic

Raised lines shout nicked blades to me, if you don't want to resharpen then try moving one blade sideways a few mm and see if each blade will clean up the nick produced by the other.

If you take F&C, there's a really excellent article in the latest edition by Alan Holtham on setting up p/t's....read it today having brekki and it's very good, that issue is covered - Rob

Are the raised lines along the length of the piece of timber or across the width? If along the length this is a nicked blade. If the nick is only small then you can move one of the knives slightly to the left and the other to the right so the nicks don't line up. If the lines are across the width of the timber then the knives aren't set at the correct height. If the later, then buy a copy of Furniture and Cabinet making - the latest edition which comes out this week and it will explain how to set up a basic p/t.

Back