uneven sole of LV jack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

Since summer I am a proud owner of a Veritas Low-angle jack-plane. My uncle was so kind to go to Lee Valley in Toronto and to bring it for me - together with others - when he went to Europe. I already spent some hours of happy working and planing and I am generally convinced about the quality of Lee Valley’s tools.

However, when planing 1-m-boards during the past days I felt that it was somewhat hard to achieve straight edges, since they became slightly convex. When adjusting for very thin shavings the jack took off shavings in the beginning of a stroke and at its end, when the toe of the plane already had left the board. I tried my best to receive a very thin end-to-end shaving but did not succeed. When checking what might be responsible for this phenomenon I also checked the flatness of the sole with a steel rule (what I never did before because I did not for a second doubt in the superb features of the “accurately machined” geometry of this plane). It was not flat, but slightly concave! Disbelievingly I counterchecked several times using my straightedge, my wooden jointer - and came to the same result. The concave curve between toe and heel leaves a gap of maybe half a millimetre (don’t have device to measure more accurately). As I do not really want to believe this I will have an additional check in the evening.

So, my question to you is whether some of you have seen the same inaccurateness with a LV plane and, if so, how you have dealt with it. Should I try to level the sole with sandpaper (nasty procedure with such an eye-catcher this wonderful tool definitely is) or is it worthwhile to ask Lee Valley for assistance or even replacement? If I had bought this plane from a trader here, I would get this issue solved there, but since it was a gift from Canada…

Thanks for your advice,
best regards

Philipp

I've forwarded the thread to Rob Lee. I'm sure he'll be here shortly to help!

Adam

Philipp":1liuz7os said:
<snip>

I would get this issue solved there, but since it was a gift from Canada…

Thanks for your advice,
best regards

Philipp

Hi Philipp -

Be glad to sort out whatever problem you have ... where you are doesn't matter to us!

If you give me a shout at [email protected] we'll look after you!

Cheers -

Rob Lee
Lee Valley/Veritas

There we go. Problem instantly solved!

Adam

Dear Rob, dear others,

am almost breathless about this superfast response :shock: Thanks a lot!

In view of your great customer service I will measure my plane some hundred times more to avoid to disgrace myself...

Will soon contact you directly but will be travelling some days from today on.

Thanks again for your great support =D> !

Best regards
Philipp

Latest posts

Back