Unequal bevel on Sorby Bowl gouge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions. I wasn’t aware that changing the projection of the gouge from the holder made much difference but will happily give it a go. Is there a sharpening setup that uses a flat belt sander to avoid the concave bevel?
Theres nothing wrong with a concave bevel. Having a concave bevel on some tools (skew, scrapers, etc) will allow you to easily hone the edge with a diamond card to save going back to the grinder as often.

Sorby Pro Edge is a belt sharpener so will give a flat bevel. Its an expensive (but worth it imo) bit of kit. Or you could make an abrasive disc to fit on your lathe.
Again, nothing wrong with a concave bevel though. There are people who like/dislike both flat and concave.

Before I got a Pro Edge, I used a 6" grinder and I can't tell any difference (not talented enough) between flat and concave.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions. I wasn’t aware that changing the projection of the gouge from the holder made much difference but will happily give it a go. Is there a sharpening setup that uses a flat belt sander to avoid the concave bevel?
I would think the grind in your picture perfect for a spindle gouge but too acute for a bowl gouge, certainly for anyone inexperienced. Try a grind with it not projecting so far, and when you find the perfect projection glue a stop on the base so that you can repeat it easily. Glue different stops for different grinds (label them), it saves messing about and more importantly tool steel - you can grind your perfectly shaped tool in one swing from one side to the other if the protrusion is identical to the one you used before.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I would think the grind in your picture perfect for a spindle gouge but too acute for a bowl gouge, certainly for anyone inexperienced. Try a grind with it not projecting so far, and when you find the perfect projection glue a stop on the base so that you can repeat it easily. Glue different stops for different grinds (label them), it saves messing about and more importantly tool steel - you can grind your perfectly shaped tool in one swing from one side to the other if the protrusion is identical to the one you used before.

Edit - I should have ideally rather than perfectly - perfect for you might be different from perfect for someone else.

Bob Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
They meant to avoid a concave cutting edge. The cutting edge should be straight or slightly convex. A concave BEVEL is pretty standard. I think your best bet would be to find an experienced turner and have lessons as soon as covid allows.

Kerrowman

Established Member
Reaction score
Some success!

I have played around with the tool projection distance etc and have managed to match the grind I got back from the shop (without running the wheel).

Also after seeing a video mentioned a while back I have precisely cut a block of wood to set the jig distance exactly and repeatably (see pics).

Now when I come to sharpen I will waste minimal metal and get the shape I’m happy with, even if it turns out to be a little bit concave 😊

Attachments

• 2ACD3AE6-E2BC-4587-9C1D-B8D1D44075E9.jpeg
    2ACD3AE6-E2BC-4587-9C1D-B8D1D44075E9.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 19
  • BD277791-9A6B-497C-8CE1-D19ECE2B4554.jpeg
    BD277791-9A6B-497C-8CE1-D19ECE2B4554.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 18
  • DC51D913-495C-44A5-B584-EBD75DB1ECF5.jpeg
    DC51D913-495C-44A5-B584-EBD75DB1ECF5.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 18

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Good to see you're making progress. (y)
The measuring block is a good idea, but don't forgot the wheel diameter will change over time. Not a big problem as (unless its getting heavy use) it won't decrease fast. Just something to keep in mind, you could either make a block that references off the face of the wheel to your jig arm pocket or use your existing one and check (periodically) to see if there is a light gap between the wheel and gouge.

Don't worry about that for now and just give the gouge a try.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Some serious over-thinking going on?
I'd just have a go with it, then sharpen it freehand as best you can if needed and see what difference it makes. It's a learning curve - you don't learn if you don't do it and instead depend on gadgets/jigs/magic numbers.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Sorby pro edge plus gadgets £500?
Sorby bowl gouge £40 ish?

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Under and over pricing in one post..impressive.

Not that I'm suggesting its a must have item, but you can get the Pro Edge and all the stuff you need for turning tools for way less than that.

Latest posts