Undertaking.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib

Established Member
Reaction score
Part of the job of being a local carpenter was also to make coffins, today i made an urn for my partners Dad, it is the second urn i have made and i have also made two coffins out of green oak for other folk.
I always feel slightly odd but deeply honoured to be doing this sort of woodwork as it connects you with lifes only certainty.
Has anyone else done this work and how do you feel about it?
Sorry in advance as this is not meant to be morbid just that i am interested to find out from other woodies what they think as some people find it sombre while i like to celebrate past lives.
Squib.

Hi,

I made a casket for someone’s ashes, it’s now buried in there garden.
It’s a weird feeling making something like that. I was told you make the casket/coffin for the living, which makes sense.

Pete

On a related point, I decided a few years back that I had no intention of moving house and so launched into a workshop building project and getting everything how I wanted ready for retirement. At 57 I have now been retired for 18 months or so and spending lots of time wood and metalworking

I often say to friends the " I have decided that I will be leaving here in a box and probably one of my own making!"

I've not even thought seriously about making my coffin but if an when I do, I guess it is going to feel very strange indeed.

I wonder should it be flat pack with assembly instructions or fully finished and stored in the loft - above my bed maybe? :shock:

Maybe a His and Hers matched pair??

Bob

Hi,

I am sure I have seen some that double as a coffee table, but you could do a small wardrobe/tall cupboard.

Pete

9fingers":3ipiupdf said:
On a related point, I decided a few years back that I had no intention of moving house and so launched into a workshop building project and getting everything how I wanted ready for retirement. At 57 I have now been retired for 18 months or so and spending lots of time wood and metalworking

I often say to friends the " I have decided that I will be leaving here in a box and probably one of my own making!"

I've not even thought seriously about making my coffin but if an when I do, I guess it is going to feel very strange indeed.

I wonder should it be flat pack with assembly instructions or fully finished and stored in the loft - above my bed maybe? :shock:

Maybe a His and Hers matched pair??

Bob

You could just sleep in it and then you wouldnt need the bed. Would open up the room if you stacked them in the corner when not in use.. :D

Carful when you make hers incase she thinks you are going to bump her off. :D

Pvt_Ryan":2yeypxwb said:
Carful when you make hers incase she thinks you are going to bump her off. :D

Also don't even try the 'what premeditation m'lud' line!!!!

Hi,

And what if your svelte young thing turns into a Rubenesque beauty

Pete

I believe Henrietta Bedford, the late 14th Earl of Bedfords wife has her coffin in the form of a Carved Blanket Chest at the foot of her bed, the 14th earl was not amused when he was alive.

In the early 1950's our local village carpenter made just about everything needed in the local community, be it a greenhouse, a new wagon body, a cherry picking ladder or an elm coffin, it never seemed out of place when calling in to pick up something that had been repaired like a pig slaughtering bench or wheelbarrow to find it stood alongside the latest coffin on the tressels, in fact the elm offcuts often went back with us on the same cart back to the farm to be used for fence and gate DIY repairs.

Racers":1qmia2qn said:
Hi,

And what if your svelte young thing turns into a Rubenesque beauty

Pete

Good point Pete but I'd better not comment further just in case she reads this over my shoulder :lol:

Bob

well I started out many years ago to learn the art of French polishing with a restorer of antiques , then a coffin maker. Learned many tricks of colouring cheaper timbers to more exotic and thus dearer timbers - :? :? so, now I have in storagwe 1 , 6'3" x 2'0" bookcase with a tempory glass door.
This will save a couple grand on my death and can go towards my wake.

No WIP piccies Im afraid, but for those interested, when I get it out of storage I'll post a pic.

k

I used to get timber from a local Joiner cum Undertaker in Barrow in Furness. I noticed one day that there was a gavanised bucket under the bench filled with false teeth!

I believe that there are now strict rules for the construction of coffins especially if you plan to be cremated.

Tin

Pvt_Ryan":2mlgfdyd said:
[You could just sleep in it and then you wouldnt need the bed.

:D hope she doesn't believe in vampires :roll: :D

I've made caskets for my father 9 years ago and mother this year. Identical design and made from the same batch of reclaimed oak. Their ashes are buried next to each other in the same plot and I feel honoured to have been able to do this "service" for them.

I found it emotionally extremely difficult and whilst my dads' was made in the few days after his death, my mums' was a full year in advance (didn't tell her of course though she had made me promise to make it).
Not sure I could ever do it again?

Bob

I like Petes concept of the casket being made for the living , and Bob i know what you mean about being honoured and emotially difficult at the same time.Definately like the bookcase idea!

Latest posts

Back