Understanding MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Morrells Pre-Catalyst Lacquer on the white wardrobe doors posted earlier, covers and sprays well with only a very small amount of thinning, most importantly if does not sag when using a HVLP sprayer, the warm air seems to help adhesion and a very quick drying time, less dust contamination.

pe2dave: Seems they have changed the name and its now called Medium Solids Base Coat: Morrells 250 Medium Solids Basecoat - Wood Finishes Direct

We just use Morrells pre cat as well, hit the sides everytime you spray a face, so sides will get 4 coats, works fine.

what high build primer do you use and how many times do you apply this?
Apply sand, Apply sand, until the pores are filled and its smooth, normally two applications is enough, if applying by brush may do it in one.

Last edited:
I can't find MRMDF locally so have resorted to glueing plain hardboard together as an experiment for making veneered boxes. Four pieces of hardboard and two veneers come to an ideal 12mm It works a treat and machining joints is a lot crisper than using MDF . I should find MRMDF at some stage and was just wondering if there are any issues glueing and veneering it as it has a high resin content. ?

Last edited:
Had not mentioned before, but all of my work is with standard MDF as it's the only thing available where I am.
Wardroabs - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg

They don't level ceilings like they used to.. :)

There are rooms in my 40 year old extension that would dream of being that good! The 100+ year old original bits regularly point and laugh at them if you listen carefully :giggle:

My 155 YO ceilings used to be wonky, but I unwonked them..

That was the easy part, some of the walls were almost as bad with stone rubble construction. Gotta love Carlite bonding coat pads and plasterboard stuck to them with plasterboard adhesive.
I even made timber corner beads using dowel grooved and glued to mesh bead.

The picture above with the wonky ceiling is on a 500year old stone house, which has been subject to subsidence, builders did not do foundations in those days. 😱

Additional problems are the walls aren't vertical and not at right angles to each other.

Last edited:
The picture above with the wonky ceiling is on a 500year old stone house, which has been subject to subsidence, builders did not do foundations in those days.
It may be wonky but at least it is capable of being wonky and still standing. How many of these new lego build houses built in the last twenty years will still be standing in 100 years let alone 500.

Back