Understairs Cupboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid there is no fine woodworking to be found here. But I haven't posted anything for ages. So heres a little understairs cupboard I've been working on the last few days:

Cyclones.jpg

Cyclones.jpg

Cyclones.jpg

Cyclones.jpg

Cyclones.jpg

Cyclones.jpg

Cyclones.jpg

More tomorrow with some better wood based pictures.

Hi,

Well done for giving the plastering a go. Why do you have the small door, I would have thought it gives marginal benefit? Or put doors on the whole thing.

DT

Well DT, this is for my sisters place, and its of her design. So obviously the plan changed halfway through. Originally the smaller end was to be small oak bookcase, more for display of small bits rather than books, to match the floor. But as I was boxing it in, she decided that it was a nice place to put shoes. So I had to continue the frame and plasterboard down to make it a little shoe cupboard.

I've made the frames for both doors, but no photos as my phone has gone U/S. Not very exciting post this one without pictures. . . . . .

Some pictures taken with my old phone:

Test fit of the little door.

Just clamping up the big door to get the top angled cuts inline before marking for the mid and bottom rail:

Then domino the mid and bottom rail with 10mm slots.

Then I dry fitted the frame again and just traced the top opening onto this bit and set the sliding table to get my top rail. Minimal marking or measuring just the way I prefer.

Again dry clamping the top, a bit tricky as it tries to slide out so a few offcuts at the right angle and a piece of wood clamped at the top to stop it escaping and I can mark for me top dominos.

Dominos in and some clamping pressure to close it all. Very tight joints with no gaps which is which is unusual for angled work for me.

Just the raised panels and beading to apply which will probably be trickier.

I don't think I've shared a picture of this, I've had it about 6 months or so now but only just fitted the NVR switch before starting this project. Using it in conjunction with a Jet CSX330 thicknesser and its the best P/T setup I've ever had. Separates is far better for the workflow than a combined machine.

@Ed, you'll have your own understairs door to do soon won't you? And if not hopefully this will inspire you to have a go at that front door!

Bit more done today between other things:

Need to glue up some pieces to make the panels:

15mm rebate to accept the edge of the soon to be raised panels:

That's all I manged to fit in on these today. Hopefully have a fuller day tomorrow and get all the raised panels done. I've worked out the angles today for it so should be fairly straight forward.

Thanks for reading!

Got the panels all raised today and the inside of the frame rounded over. Table saw used for all the panel raising. I now need to clean up all the panels, I did one today with a chisel and it took awhile. I think tomorrow I may use an old plane blade and have a go at making a molding plane to clean up the top chamfer on the panel. If it wasn't a bank holiday I may use this as an excellent excuse to buy this.

Rounding over the inside edge, I will have to square the corners by hand once its glued up.
DSC00735-1.jpg

DSC00736-1.jpg

Sizing the panels and double checking the angle needed on the angled panel before cutting with CS and guide.
DSC00737.jpg

DSC00738.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00740.jpg

Trial run of panel raising, aiming to get a 8 degree cut with a little over 40mm deep chamfer.

DSC00741.jpg

All cut.
DSC00742.jpg

Next they go through with the faces down and the saw at 90 degrees to just nibble away the last bit of material to reveal the raised panel.
DSC00743.jpg

Trial fit now the edges are down to 15mm to fit in the rebate.
DSC00744.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00746-1.jpg

Time to use the LN No4 to clean up the panel faces.
DSC00747-1.jpg

DSC00748-1.jpg

Slightly blurry this one, but a sort of finished panel.
DSC00749-1.jpg

Tomorrow may make this molding plane and get the doors glued up. Then just need to run off loads of tiny beading to go inside the frame and they'll be ready to fit and paint.

Back