Undersized drills or reamers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I could really do with a set of undersized drills and or reamers for push fitting rods. I can't find these anywhere. Anyone out there could let me know where to go?

Many thanks.

What sort of sizes are you after? You can get most metric reamers in 0.01mm increments. Not cheap though!

It largely depends on the size range/s you want. There are adjustable reamers but they're also rather expensive, and normally only cover a range of about +/- 2 mm. But they are fully adjustable to any dimension within the stated range, so if you only want "a few" diameters they COULD work out a bit cheaper than buying individual (single size) tools.

Personally, wherever possible I try to "design" any job of mine so that it uses one of (the few) existing reamers that I have.

You don't say what size of reamer, below is a link to a chart that may help
http://www.toolingsolutions.com/technic ... _hole_size

Remember the first hole you drill a hole is just a hole to remove the majority of the metal, you then open up the hole to a size that a reamer can accept. The reamer removed just a tiny amount of material. Plus ideally it want to be done in a bench drill and the work not moved between the drilling stages and the reaming itself for best results.

This may sound convoluted but it is easy really.

Are you certain you need a push-fit? Adhesives need a slight gap and if you have one anyway then you have a process that matches your tools

Aidan

Back