Under stairs shenanigans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
No, NO Not a party trick but a personal dilema. That's longhand for I'm unsure how to proceed.

For 3 yrs I have promised the wife I would construct some under stairs storage. One end is OK to do as its a full size door and a side frame from studding. The other end ( its a dog leg shape) is where the stairs drops from about 5ft to floor level.

Here Her InDoors wants me to build in some large sliding drawers shaped to meet the slope of the stairs. How do I frame this.
1) Do I put down a nice level base say 100mm high
2) What sort of cabinet (s) do I make. Like a kitchen unit without face frame or with a face frame
3) How do I make them rigid enough to hold all the household stuff from scarves to gloves to boots to a hoover. ?
4) I was thinking there is enough length for 3 drawers each of about 18 inches.
5) Do I make these as a drawer per unit so three large drawers but would they not be too big at say 450mm wide, 1500mm tall and 750/700 deep for the tallest one.

Got any ideas chaps or even photo's of what you have done.

regards
Al

Here s mine I built years ago just did simple mdf bi fold doors with a piano hinge then a fixed panel on the lower bit and also covered the plastered wall with mdf so that when its all shut it looks like a flat wall. I painted it all the same colour as the walls too. The internal storage is from Matalan they sell these great storage tower units with plastic tubs as drawers, they come in 3 high units but I found that you can pull em apart and add or take away a drawer. Ive made 4 drawer, 5 drawer and 7 drawer units which are on wheels so i can pull them out if I need to get to all the meters.

4885301343_47baac8043_z.jpg
4885300463_d901f91ec0_z.jpg

You could make a Japanese style under stairs thing. I think its kalled a kaiden tansu or dansu.

I did this one a couple of years ago. Started by stripping out everything that was there then built a platform level with the skirting:-

6640956645_ff567dd96e.jpg

Fitted it out with a double and a single door carcass (18mm MDF, nothing special) just shelved in this one, though there's no reason you couldn't fit drawers; the end panel next to the door is hanging space and shoe storage accessed from the wooden door:-

6640957119_7bfcdd5846.jpg

6640956895_8d29726f06.jpg

Edited to add that before the carcasses went in, the stairs were braced with a couple of 4x2s bearing against and secured to the underside of the treads, and bolted onto the joists of the floor above. Stairs were distinctly 'springy' until this was done :)

Cheers, Pete

Some excellent work gents. =D> Here's one of mine. 800mm deep drawers x 600 width.
Understairstoragedoorson.jpg

Custumersshoesalreadyin.jpg

Twodrawopen.jpg

Cupboarddooropen-1.jpg

Back