Under Stair Storage - Help Seeked

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenkarp

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am by no means a craftsman in wood but am generally good with my hands (so the wife says! ;) ).

We own a modest 3 bed semi in North London and are running out of nick nack storage space, so I thought what a good idea to use the space hidden under each of my stair steps!

I've never tackled anything like this before and although I've had a peek under the cupboard under the stairs have no idea where to start.

Has anyone done anything like this before?
Any tips?

TIA
Darren

LyNx mentionned doing something similar a while back.

Not sure how he got on, but the thread is here

Hi Darren

Do you mean as in a shelf screwed underneath each tread?

Guess it depends also on whether you want to enclose the space with a door or leave it open.

Hi Darren

At our last place (which sounds similar to yours), I made some storage boxes to go under the stairs. Boxes were made from MDF, with the same pine cladding to the face as the rest of the stairs. Boxes were mounted on castors and pulled out into a carpeted hallway.
Was surprised how well it worked. It meant that almost all the inaccessible areas under the stairs could be used for storage. Unbelievable volume made available, ending years of frustration with kids’ toys. Fairly simple to construct too.
Unfortunately I never took any photographs.

Regards

SC

or do you mean something like this:

stairs-unit.jpg

Or like this - completed for a client yesterday. Bloomin' camera battery ran out before I could take photos with the doors/ filing drawers in - but I've got to go back there next week so I'll get some more pics.

understairs1a.sized.jpg

understairs2a.sized.jpg

Cheers

Tim

Ive done this under my stairs where the area is accessed by a door that is below the top of the stairs so the underside of the stairs are facing you as you open it . I made boxes the height of two risers and the width of the inside of the strings . The first box that is on the floor is deeper so it can support the next box on top of it and so on .

Waka":1dt6nm1f said:
Good idea and very posh, where's all the details etc?

I'll stick it in the completed project bit when I get some phots with doors etc.

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back