Uncurling wenge veneer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.... I have some sheets of 1.5mm thick wenge veneer (about 18cm wide x about 2.5m) which was beed rolled up for a good few years, despite leaving it out and putting things on top of it, it still refuses to uncurl and is pretty unusable. So, has anyone got any bright ideas for flattening it out?

What about a veneer softener solution and ideally pressing it?

Do you think that'll work with it being construction thickness? I'll give it a go - I seem to remember using alcohol and glycerine in the past - does that sound about right?

I once had some some elm burr which looked like a relief map of the Himalayas. Damping and overnight pressing cured it.

HTH

John

I'll give it a go - otherwise it's going on the bonfire!

Last time I tried it with some maple I got the bottle of alcohol mixed up with a bottle of Morrells acid cat and ended up using the alcohol in its place... it took a fair amount of head scratching before I twigged why it never dried!

just thinking outside the box what about using one of those small household steam cleaners ? they usually have a variety of nozzles
They use steam to bend timber on boats :wink:

Don't worry Whiskywill – I've not completely given up yet!

Interesting idea about the steam cleaner Johnny, wonder if you could get enough heat and moisture into it before clamping flat to get it to hold it's flat shape?

I was thinking you might be able to use a strip of heavy hardwood across the veneer to hold it down and just inch the strip forward as the veneer gives a little on each pass of the steamer.? :wink:

Hi Unib,
Can't help with flattening your veneer but Pete Sefton just shared a link on Facebook which uses veneer rolled up as wine boxes. Might be better than binning it?

Glynne":1g0bu9kj said:
Hi Unib,
Can't help with flattening your veneer but Pete Sefton just shared a link on Facebook which uses veneer rolled up as wine boxes. Might be better than binning it?

could you post a link- cant see it on fb?

Back