Unbelievable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a screwdriver that cost £40 (39.99)

And to post a letter 60p (that's 12 shillings old money)

What is the world coming too!

devonwoody":3w3vu0qz said:
I have just bought a screwdriver that cost £40 (39.99)

And to post a letter 60p (that's 12 shillings old money)

Would you rather get a screwdriver for 60p and post a letter for 39.99? :wink: :D

I noticed the effects of inflation when I thought about the jam doughnut that I had just casually purchased for 50p.

In my youth, that would have meant handing over a ten bob note - my weekly wages as a Saturday morning grocer's boy!

devonwoody":3sj79xhv said:
....... And to post a letter 60p (that's 12 shillings old money)

I think the Post Office are trying to commit suicide. Who is going to be able to afford to send letters? At least with parcels they have competition.

I am just waiting now to be told that my pension will be increased by the same precentage (might just be able to make ends meet, then!!!).

Mike

The price of a stamp has been to low for years, thats why the Royal Mail is in so much trouble, that and the unfare farming out of the more profitable parts to the private sector but the last two goverments.

So pay up or lose, you have been getting a subsidise service for years.

Pete

Racers":16r10lai said:
The price of a stamp has been to low for years, thats why the Royal Mail is in so much trouble, that and the unfare farming out of the more profitable parts to the private sector but the last two goverments.

Pete

I'm not having a crack at anyone but the issue is simply that we have lost touch with any sense of VALUE and only look at the cost. We accept that it will cost 39.99 OR 7.99 but don't ask why and don't realise that some silly person product manager wrote the over promised adverts but set the price at whatever large amount we might pay even if it was too much.

Manufacturing has gone to China ...why. Looking at simple manufactured items today I see that if made in the UK it should cost less, maybe not a huge amount less, but less. Given the cost of fuel, taxes, admin etc etc the opportunity to manufacture in the UK is there. Whats missing is the people with the balls to do it and who have a sense of value.

Rant over. Back to apathetic normal. I'm going into the workshop to make a few tools.

Al

henton49er":4d3g9s84 said:
devonwoody":4d3g9s84 said:
....... And to post a letter 60p (that's 12 shillings old money)

I think the Post Office are trying to commit suicide. Who is going to be able to afford to send letters?

Mike
What was interesting on the news last night is that the UK, even at 60p for a first class stamp, still appears to have one of the cheapest rates in Europe...apparently well over £1 (or equivalent) in Germany - Rob

It is a sad fact of life these days. If the product you provide
is £10 this year then next year it must be £10-25. at least
because you must assume everything else is going to go up
by at least that amount. :roll:

Yes and No.

When you see a price set at 7.99 or 19.99 you know that the value of the goods have nothing to do with the price. Such prices are set by those who are consumed by "price points" and profit only.

Al

I have to say, that like the rest of you I'm sure my gauge of rising prices has been axminster rather than the cost of butter or postage. The planer I bought a few years ago for £400 is now £520, that's a 30% increase. I think the CT150 had maybe risen even more, I don't remember what it was in 2007.

One of the suggested reasons for prices ending in '.99' was to ensure that shop assistants in the Woolworths-type low price stores HAD to go to a till to get change, and could not pocket the cash!

(If it had been me, I'd of had a pocket full of pennies!)

But to take up the point about price RISES, before I retired from a company which made small springs and pressings seven years ago, our large company customers would demand something like a 5% REDUCTION in prices each year - on the basis that we should be improving our efficiency. They seemed to ignore rising material costs!

Racers":10e8m077 said:

Pete
Are you a postie by any chance.

Royal mail has been screwed to the floor by the product called downstream access, it has not been able to compete with the opposition and it actually costs royal mail money to deliver each item the final mile.

We do need royal mail as it actually a cash cow for the government and as they need every penny they can get it seems mad privatising it. When it could earn them about 150/250 million a year.

Yes its a bit of a hike, but with the cost of fuel today i reckon that anything further than a mile and a half away (3mile round trip) and its cheaper for me to post it than deliver it by hand. (I think, I do about 40mpg).
puts it in perspective really.

Unbelievable XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The screwdriver has arrived with two accessories side and offset drive positions but no torque that's another £15 plus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Bosch-2609256968- ... 40790.aspx

I purchased the bosch because the last model had lasted at least ten years and set up in battery charger stayed charging at all times.
This one has no torque and does not store keeping up the charge but has to be switched on when needed.

Hi, Wardroom

No not a postie, my wife worked for the Royal Mail for a while.

Pete

Back