Unbelievable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a large 'lean to' for a pal at the moment, and having to drive hundreds of screws and generally do a lot of drill work. He's also having other work done on the house which entails power off.
Whilst picking up stuff from the local B&Q, I noticed a 1.5 ah 30 volt cordless for 49.95, with spare battery for 14.95.
£65 all in, 2 batts and a case - even if it only lasts for this job, it's still a bargain and will have earned it's keep , thinks I.

Well people - I have to report that the drill is absolutely outstanding.
I don't know what's going on, but the thing performs like a DW and the battery lasts like it's made from Soviet plutonium. The torque is wrist-straining excellent.
I then saw a REMARKABLY similar bit of kit (if you're thinking that's a euphemism for 'the same' - you'd be right) with a 25V battery for £99 in Wickes.

It's heavy and chunky - definitely not for repeated one-handed use - but if you need a cordless to do a lot of heavy work and don't want to get a second mortgage, get one of these. You won't regret it.
I'm still trying to figure out how they can manufacture and package something of this standard for £50. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If anyone has any clues - I'd be delighted!

Steve

I got the screwfix jobby - 24V, 2 Batteries, 1 hour charge for £50 a couple of years back - I really can't fault it other than the weight - I built my workshop with it, and it had more torque than I had strength in my arms to resist it turning. I use it in preference to my mains drill for almost every occasion. It's got hammer action, and I've used it for some bits up to about 25mm in softwood. I was very impressed.

Adam

I have also got the Screwfix 24 V drill. I agree that it is an excellent piece of kit.

The one gripe that I have with it as that the battteries don't last very well. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy better quality batteries to fit this drill?

I wandered in B&Q on saturday and they had the Performance Power 30v 1.5 Ah drill for £25 - a half price clearance. I didn't see any spare batteries, but it dawned on me yesterday that I could/should have got a second drill as it wouldn't have been much more than the spare battery.

Is it any good ?

In a word yes - 10 holes drilled in hard bricks (and one in wood with a 1" forstner) so far and no shirking (and still 100% in battery power left according to the in-built display). It knocks the spots off the Ferm 24v drill, which I thought was lacking power, with hardly any more torque than my Metabo 9.6v, and had really poor batteries that only lasted 5 minutes, which is why it got sent back (and replaced with a 12v Bosch).

Not an exhaustive test so far, but recommended.

So now I've got:

30v PP for masonary and large wood holes (should also come in handy for deck building);
12v Bosch pro (blue) for wood drilling and screwdrivering;
9v Metabo for screwdrivering (gearbox won't change into second gear for drilling, but it was slow anyway);
12v ?cheapo? bought-years-ago-when-it-was-a-good-spec-DIY-drill which I don't use any more 'cos it takes 5 hours to charge and i's pretty rubbish;
Bosch Ixo, kept in the house, ideal for those Ikea kits which are cheaper than the wood would cost and other smaller tasks.

I must stop buying cordless drills.

Back