• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Unbelievable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Steve

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a large 'lean to' for a pal at the moment, and having to drive hundreds of screws and generally do a lot of drill work. He's also having other work done on the house which entails power off.
Whilst picking up stuff from the local B&Q, I noticed a 1.5 ah 30 volt cordless for 49.95, with spare battery for 14.95.
£65 all in, 2 batts and a case - even if it only lasts for this job, it's still a bargain and will have earned it's keep , thinks I.

Well people - I have to report that the drill is absolutely outstanding.
I don't know what's going on, but the thing performs like a DW and the battery lasts like it's made from Soviet plutonium. The torque is wrist-straining excellent.
I then saw a REMARKABLY similar bit of kit (if you're thinking that's a euphemism for 'the same' - you'd be right) with a 25V battery for £99 in Wickes.

It's heavy and chunky - definitely not for repeated one-handed use - but if you need a cordless to do a lot of heavy work and don't want to get a second mortgage, get one of these. You won't regret it.
I'm still trying to figure out how they can manufacture and package something of this standard for £50. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If anyone has any clues - I'd be delighted!

Steve

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I got the screwfix jobby - 24V, 2 Batteries, 1 hour charge for £50 a couple of years back - I really can't fault it other than the weight - I built my workshop with it, and it had more torque than I had strength in my arms to resist it turning. I use it in preference to my mains drill for almost every occasion. It's got hammer action, and I've used it for some bits up to about 25mm in softwood. I was very impressed.

Adam

Taffy Turner

Established Member
Reaction score
I have also got the Screwfix 24 V drill. I agree that it is an excellent piece of kit.

The one gripe that I have with it as that the battteries don't last very well. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy better quality batteries to fit this drill?

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
I wandered in B&Q on saturday and they had the Performance Power 30v 1.5 Ah drill for £25 - a half price clearance. I didn't see any spare batteries, but it dawned on me yesterday that I could/should have got a second drill as it wouldn't have been much more than the spare battery.

Is it any good ?

In a word yes - 10 holes drilled in hard bricks (and one in wood with a 1" forstner) so far and no shirking (and still 100% in battery power left according to the in-built display). It knocks the spots off the Ferm 24v drill, which I thought was lacking power, with hardly any more torque than my Metabo 9.6v, and had really poor batteries that only lasted 5 minutes, which is why it got sent back (and replaced with a 12v Bosch).

Not an exhaustive test so far, but recommended.

So now I've got:

30v PP for masonary and large wood holes (should also come in handy for deck building);
12v Bosch pro (blue) for wood drilling and screwdrivering;
9v Metabo for screwdrivering (gearbox won't change into second gear for drilling, but it was slow anyway);
12v ?cheapo? bought-years-ago-when-it-was-a-good-spec-DIY-drill which I don't use any more 'cos it takes 5 hours to charge and i's pretty rubbish;
Bosch Ixo, kept in the house, ideal for those Ikea kits which are cheaper than the wood would cost and other smaller tasks.

I must stop buying cordless drills.