Ultimate Workstation - New build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm starting drawing up the idea for my "Ultimate Workstation" as seen on a few websites already. What the idea i have, is to use this for most of my shop work so it needs to be very multi functional. As space is limited then approx size i'm coming out with at the moment is 1653 long x 800 wide x 900 high. I have added a few design ideas to get a few comment on additional pieces to add. There is alot of wasted space at the moment which will be filled with drawers for any tools linked to the machines used on the workstation.

I plan on building the main carcass from 18mm MDF with a 30mm top under the removable sections to give a bit more strength. The overtops are hopefully going to all be 15mm solid laminate but if not the 18mm MDF laminated in high gloss white laminate. This will reduce friction plus i can use as a drywipe board for 'workings out'.

The table saw i'm planning on using is my RSTS12 which has the sliding bed. I'm going to use the external framing from the saw and just build the workstation around it.

The saw fence, crosscut sledge and outfeed sections have still to be designed but this again need to be multi functional and housed within the workstation.

pic1a.jpg

Pic 1^

pic2a.jpg

Pic 2^

pic3a.jpg

Pic 3^

pic4a.jpg

Pic 4^

pic5a.jpg

Pic 5^

pic6a.jpg

Pic 6^

Well, what do you think?? any good/bad comment welcome. I'll keep you all informed on the progress. I have cut the mdf for the torsion base section and plan on start building this at the weekend.

Andy

Ian published his in GWW some tiome back

He is a member and so you might find info being posted from him soon

it was modelling in Autocad 2005 then rendered in 3d Studio MAX. 7.5

i'll be watching with great interest. something i will prolly build myself.

I've added details of the cross cut fence / sledge that i may use. I have a nice section of 60x60 aluminium that has a 40x20mm inner section that i can run an extension arm inside. I'm going to router a groove into the face to allow flush fitting of a measuring gauge.

I'm still not sure if i should have the fence towards the back of the sledge as shown or on the reverse side (users side)

I have drawn out the measuring gauges in autocad and plan on printing these at 2000mm long with both right-left and left-right markings and then getting the sheet gloss laminated. The should give me enough tapes for any jigs i need in the future.

Again, any comment welcome.

Andy

fence1a.jpg

fence3a.jpg

Andy,
Heres a couple of pics of mine....it might give you a few ideas.....the fence worked well and is similar to the beisemeyer and it worked for the router table and table saw...the height was also set so as to give the jointer a longer outfeed. all the switches at the front were wired to corresponding switches at the back
hope this stirs the grey matter
Ian

tablesawstation1.jpg

tablesawstation2.jpg

Ian, thanks for the photos. Given me a few more things to think about. I do like the idea of placing the saw onto an adjustable base, and i haven't thought about the power issues yet.

I notice you used alot of the Perform range of machinery, how did you get on with the jointer and thicknesser??

Did you have some sort of scale fitted onto the fence rail?? i can't make it out in the photo.

Andy

I really like this thread. And both of the stations look good. I like the fence idea. I hope you people will continue to post pics as things go on.

I started this one about 5 months ago :oops:
Its a comprismise as I use it for layout and productin of face frames for cabinets

pict00016gs.jpg

finishedcabinet10028gk.jpg

I put white fillers in the holes so everything is flush
bench18oh.jpg

The holes are for drop ins so I can set up tp do small production runs. I mount the tools on same size drop in and slide them on a rack to evetually be built on a wall. There is a vacum pump run to a drop in so I can hold big work. I also have a drawer that pulls out with a Kreg jig mounted so I can pocket hole while the frame lays on the top. I have two routers on drop ins so Ican set up two router tables.

bench29rv.jpg

Eventually the blower will suck the dust throught the peg board center and filters and exit out the bottom

bench46pk.jpg

Someday I will get time to put the drawers and shelves in and finish it up. But I see a couple ideas on yours I may be able to incorporate.

Nice photos Slim, but 5 months and not finished :roll:

I'm getting the MDF cut at the moment so i should have most of the carcass components ready to start building soon. Not sure of the finish yet, may paint with walnut lippings or get the lot veneered in ABW or may be lazy and go for the natural MDF look :wink:

Andy

Ian, can we please see a picture of some dust or chippings on your workshop floor. It is always seems so clean and tidy :lol:

Andy

Slim,
That is an interesting layout - I can see how it will help "productionize" your work. Still, if you keep using it before it's finished, it may never get finished - DAMHIKT :oops:

Lynx
Waterhead

It came to me in a dream one night and I had some time over a weekend. But somebody for got to remind me that I needed a pay check. Hopefully this winter it will get finished. Along with a lot of other things. Sometimes I wish this was just a hobby.

Update. Had a list of items to finish before i could start the workstation. I've finished the fibreglassing (thank god, stuff got everywhere)

Just finished laying the "leveling compound" , rubbish job but it's a floor after all and better than what was originally there.

Have to build my workbench. Not a top quality issue, just MDF carcass with a 90mm MDF overtop (yes, 90mm - 3x30mm).

I have opted for a laminated carcass with black walnut lippings. The main torsion base is going to be painted ral 3004 (if think) which is a deep red. This is not to match the colours from previous workstations but that it's what i'm using on out new furniture design mock-ups so the colour is readily available. I plan to paint the upper storage unit doors this colour to match (photo added soon).

I still need to find out if the 15mm solid laminate is going to be available for the overtops or it's plain old laminate again.

I have designed a front beam style rip fence that i'm using the section of 60x60mm Aluminium (kind of like Ian's). Another reason i'm hoping for the solid laminate is that the fence can be reduced in size but still retain it's strength.

Until the next update..........

LyNx

Lynx,
I used a stick on tape measure from starret.......I like your idea of a solid 15mm laminate but i am usure of where to get such stuff...i know its available as i have seen some of the larger cnc companies use it but i beleive its quite expensive.
I opted for a 3 part fence in sapelle...as in it was made in 3 different sections .
If i was buiding one for myself i would just use box section metal as is so cheap and the strength it has is second to none.

The perform range of equipement was given to me by axminster as it was going as a prize at their show last year.

Ian

I really hope that i get the solid lamaite as this will make a really good workstation.

Anyway, i've built my workbench (no pics yet as only a 1 hour job) but not sure either to laminate the overtop or keep it MDF (sealed) - what do you all think - vote 1 for lam or vote 2 of mdf

LyNx - now onto the workstation, this is where the fun begins. :wink:

My assembly bench top is MDF which is sealed and coated with Aquacoat floor varnish. Its pretty tough and also because its MDF I don't feel too precious about it.

Cheers

Tim

Back