"Ultimate" Inca Bandsaw Dust Collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen a few posts on bandsaw dust extraction recently and thought I should really add a port to my two Inca bandsaws. Currently they have ports in the opposite corner from where it really should be.

So here is my take on it:

The adapter is 3d printed and made from five separate parts. My favourite part is the replaceable zero clearance blade insert. This creates a tight fit around the blade preventing any saw dust from exiting the adapter. Its made a HUGE difference. I now get 'zero' amount of dust exiting anywhere else on the bandsaw.

This is how I went about designing and making it:

Requirements:
Fit existing case without/little modification.
Enclose the blade as much as possible.
Replaceable blade insert.
Easy to attach and easy to remove.
Connect to my standard shop extract size.

After a quick few measurements I started to model the adapter in fusion 360. Shown here is the latest revision, however it took three prototypes to get to this finished design.

Separate 3d printed pieces

Front

Rear

Side

The adapter is printed in separate parts to aid printability. I use aligning pins "nails" and super glue to assemble them together.

Gluing in pins:

Glued:

Insert and hose adapter fitted. The replaceable insert is made from flexible material. This helps keep it in place and creates a better seal around the blade. Also helps reduce noise as hard plastic on the blade creates more noise.

Next step is to cut the slot in the replaceable insert. I did this by turning the saw on then sliding the adapter carefully into position.

Next is marking the holes where it will be screwed in.

I drilled and tapped the plastic. Worked well. But for a more secure connection I also attached nuts on the back with super glue.

Glued nuts.

Attached to saw with machine screws

You can see how enclosed the blade is.

Through the back of the machine. You can see how well the blade is surrounded to catch all the dust.

Now for my other bandsaw I had to modify the case:

Very happy with this upgrade! A bonus is I can take the front case off without taking off the extraction adapter. Cant be used with the table tilted but can't remember the last time I did that.

Hope you enjoyed reading.
Thanks

My lord that's a neat solution. Intelligent work led design. That's pretty awesome!
Seeing as how you've done all the hardwork of design/compatability etc are you able to produce more (for a price of course)?
I'd certainly be interested and would pay fair price.
Would think there are many other Inca owners out there who could be interested if you get the right price bracket. Could be a fair market.
Let me know if you are interested/able etc.
Very smart.
=D>
Cheers
Chris

Bm101":2ia4lkw5 said:
My lord that's a neat solution. Intelligent work led design. That's pretty awesome!
Seeing as how you've done all the hardwork of design/compatability etc are you able to produce more (for a price of course)?
I'd certainly be interested and would pay fair price.
Would think there are many other Inca owners out there who could be interested if you get the right price bracket. Could be a fair market.
Let me know if you are interested/able etc.
Very smart.
=D>
Cheers
Chris

I would also be very interested in buying this kit for my Inca. A very neat solution, and you deserve to get something back for your hard work and innovation.

Keith

I would also be interested in buying one of these adaptors.

Hi!

Thanks for the kind comments.
Ive been busy making it 'look nice'.

Ill be in contact with those three who have shown interest shortly.

Hope these are ok to post on here,

Hi

I admire your application, but doesn’t this design prevent tilting the table?

The original Inca extraction connection does pretty much the same job (admittedly without the zero clearance insert), but does not impede tilting of the table.

The extraction efficiency is not the best, but it is a very quick job to remove the cover and vacuum out the residual dust inside the casing.

These Inca machines are a little quirky, but very nice to use, so kudos to you for having two!

Cheers

Yes it does prevent the table tilting. Think I mentioned it at the bottom of the post. I rarely, if ever use mine tilted so this works for me. I’d rather have the best extraction I can. So this setup really suits me. Takes about 30 seconds to remove if I did want angled cuts.
Perhaps I’ll look into a tilted version.

Thanks!

Interesting and useful. Anyone tried on the smaller version of Inca as that is what I have but it does not have dust extractor port at all.

Hi,

I have seen a few posts on bandsaw dust extraction recently and thought I should really add a port to my two Inca bandsaws. Currently they have ports in the opposite corner from where it really should be.
Hi do still make these for sale .I have an old inca with no dust port at all
Thanks

Hi,

Looks great. Band saws are very good bits of kit and need all the extraction you can get. I hope you do well helping others.

Back