ukW junk emails !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone keep getting this?

"Elisabeth Brown" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: www.ukworkshop.co.uk
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:26:09 +0800

Hi,

I visited https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk, and noticed that you're not listed on some search engines! I would like to introduce to you an affordable service where we can help enhance your online presence globally.
Search engine submission is an integral part of the success of your web site. Building a web presence means more than just having the right keywords. We offer a star solution that will produce guaranteed results. Our unique search engine positioning technology helps submit your website to over 300,000 search engines and directories every month.

It takes only minutes to sign up for our service. We'll do the rest! You'll be surprised how simple it is to now reach out to an international market and increase the visibility of your website.

Do let me know how I may assist you better with workmiracle.com!

Best Regards,
Elisabeth Brown

Sales and Marketing
E-mail: [email protected]
http://www.workmiracle.com

regards
steve

I might be, but if I'm suspicious about an email I don't download it.

How, I hear you ask ?

http://www.mailwasher.net is the answer - it lists all the emails in your webbased email account and lets you filter out the ones you dont want. It's possible to blacklist whole domains as well as individual users. Well worth the money (it's free, butyou can always donate voluntarily).

Pete

cambournepete":3eaq5yaw said:
http://www.mailwasher.net is the answer - it lists all the emails in your webbased email account and lets you filter out the ones you dont want. It's possible to blacklist whole domains as well as individual users. Well worth the money (it's free, butyou can always donate voluntarily).

Pete
I too can recommend Mailwasher, :D have been using it for 3 months. Spam has virtually gone from 30 a day+ to 1 or 2 per week. If you have the PRO VERSION, you can bounce the Spam back to the sender as undeliverable mail, so they think your mail address is no-more so to speak. And I like the idea of sending their spam inc the viruses back from whence it came :D :D :D
Highly Recommended
Best Regards
John

If you have the PRO VERSION, you can bounce the Spam back to the sender as undeliverable mail, so they think your mail address is no-more so to speak.

You don't need the Pro version for this. The basic version will do it. However the pro version will allow you to manage more than one account.

Andrew (another satisfied user)

Tsk. I'll draw Charley's attention to this thread, as obviously someone's harvesting the email addresses. The only thing I can suggest is that you alter your settings in your profile to hide the email address. A pain, I know, but you can always us the PM for first contact.

Cheers, Alf

Admin: Moved to General Chat

I got the same email for the first time today. I'm sorry that you've all got one too. I'm afraid it's happening all over the place now. Spammers for a while have been able to get all the email address listed on a webpage/forum and to my knowledge there isn't anything you can do about it for a wholeforum but I will check with the forum creators.

I'd suggest you do one of the following:

1) Use a program like mail washer as Pete suggested - http://www.mailwasher.net

2) If you already have an email account/program that lets you install filters, you can tell it to block any emails that have 'workmiracle.com' in.

3) Do what Alf suggest's and and hide your email account in your profile. Please note if you do this you can't be notified of any new posts/PM's.

4) If they don't come very often you could always just ignore them and send them to your trash bin.

I like the rest of you hate spam and I will look into it.

Fixit":2vibssrq said:
If you have the PRO VERSION, you can bounce the Spam back to the sender as undeliverable mail, so they think your mail address is no-more so to speak. And I like the idea of sending their spam inc the viruses back from whence it came :D :D :D

John

Bear in mind that spammers rarely use their own e-mail addresses - generally, what shows as the originator of the e-mail isn't the real originator; the e-mail address has just been spoofed. How do I know this? Cos I occasionally get spam e-mail apparantly from myself, and even on occasions from e-mail addresses I deleted years ago! So bouncing the e-mail is just going to hack off the likely legitimate owner of the address that's been spoofed.

Espedair Street":6zjnzk1s said:
Fixit":6zjnzk1s said:
If you have the PRO VERSION, you can bounce the Spam back to the sender as undeliverable mail, so they think your mail address is no-more so to speak. And I like the idea of sending their spam inc the viruses back from whence it came :D :D :D

John

Bear in mind that spammers rarely use their own e-mail addresses - generally, what shows as the originator of the e-mail isn't the real originator; the e-mail address has just been spoofed. How do I know this? Cos I occasionally get spam e-mail apparantly from myself, and even on occasions from e-mail addresses I deleted years ago! So bouncing the e-mail is just going to hack off the likely legitimate owner of the address that's been spoofed.

Yes this is true..

Okay I have found a script for the forum that should stop spammers getting your email address. It's a new script so there may be some bugs in it. I'll let you know once I've installed it and would appreciate it if you could let me know by PM or email (charleyATukworkshopDOTcoDOTuk ;) ) if you come across a error on the site/forum.

:oops: :oops: or an easier way is to go into you're profile and change 'Always show my email address' to no :oops: :oops:

Charley":33klesqv said:
kityuser":33klesqv said:
or an easier way is to go into you're profile and change 'Always show my email address' to no

I have always done this ..... ????????

That's odd :?
Hell's teeth, I've just seen mine is displayed even though I always have it set to "no". What's going on here? I'm sure it wasn't displayed before. :?

Charley, I noticed about messenger, but as I haven't received any spam... (where is that fingers crossed smilie when you want it? :roll: )

Cheers, Alf

ow dear...................

infamous forum bugs again, add them to the list chaps.......

Right for some reason I couldn't download the script I mentioned. Instead I've enabled the email feature on the forum. SO now all email addresses are hidden. When you click on the email button you get sent to a form where you can contact the member by email via the forum.

This should cut down on the spammers getting your email. The only way they can get it now if is you have your email address in your sig or listed under MSN messenger but from what I've been told spammers get the email addresses via the member list.

Charley":357ccx8l said:
No it's not a bug. It's as Alf's a moderator.
So he tells me. I'm sure wasn't able to see them before. Maybe all these reviews have finally pushed me over the edge... :oops: (Don't answer that). Anyway, I definitely can't see 'em now.

Cheers, Alf

Espedair Street":1grybrrw said:
...generally, what shows as the originator of the e-mail isn't the real originator; the e-mail address has just been spoofed. How do I know this? Cos I occasionally get spam e-mail apparantly from myself, and even on occasions from e-mail addresses I deleted years ago!...
FWIW this sounds particularly like a virus that's been going around fairly recently. It creates spam mail to your inbox apparently from yourself. It also gets sent out to everyone in your address book but to them it appears to be either from themselves or from a random name in their address book.
If you haven't already - update your virus definitions and run a full system scan.

Aragorn":16m7gqv4 said:
FWIW this sounds particularly like a virus that's been going around fairly recently. It creates spam mail to your inbox apparently from yourself. It also gets sent out to everyone in your address book but to them it appears to be either from themselves or from a random name in their address book.
If you haven't already - update your virus definitions and run a full system scan.

Nope, it's not a virus; yes, my viraus scanner is up to date; yes, I know enough about SMTP headers to recognize a spoofed source e-mail address when I see it. Yes, spammers DO spoof e-mail addresses. No, the spam e-mail isn't created to my local in-box, but to an Exchange server, which is then delivered to my local post box...

Latest posts

Back