UK Workshop Friendliness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
Until a few years ago I had never joined an internet forum so dipped my toe in the water and joined a friendly caravan forum and then branched out into UK Workshop. I am amazed how a disparate bunch of people can come together to form a generally very friendly and sympathetic 'woodwork club in the clouds'.

The recent death of Roy 'Digit' Randall illustrated how fragile an existence we live where one moment he is an active member of the 'club', and then he asks for advice about a health problem and the next thing he's no longer here. This was followed by all the heartfelt sympathy from, I guess, most people who have never met him but have conversed with him through the forum and enjoyed all he brought to the table.

I'm not a prolific poster but do get a great deal of enjoyment and knowledge from the forum which I read most days. I have had some very good advice about woodworking problems and one member 'Lons' went out of his way to help sort out my computer even though he didn't know me from Adam. Thank you Bob, I am still grateful for all you sent me.

The digital age has brought us so many advantages (plus a few disadvantages) particularly over the last decade. I wonder where we'll be in another decade (hammer) .

Regards Keith

It is rather impressive. DW sent me a tissue box a few weeks ago and when I showed it to my family they were amazed that there are people out there who were so generous, they couldn't understand I'd never actually met DW, just exchanged computer talk via PM and watched each others project posts. To boot I think I've learnt the entire art of woodworking that I know from reading and having questions answered here on UKW.

Chems":1tj3i27o said:
It is rather impressive. DW sent me a tissue box a few weeks ago and when I showed it to my family they were amazed that there are people out there who were so generous, they couldn't understand I'd never actually met DW, just exchanged computer talk via PM and watched each others project posts. To boot I think I've learnt the entire art of woodworking that I know from reading and having questions answered here on UKW.

+1

time and time again people i have never met have done such kind things. i try and do my bit when i can

adidat

No idea on how many forums I am a member of and I even run my own. Not all forums are graced with a collection of people as nice and genuine as the people on this forum. I have stopped using forums because the members are genuine pineapples and im even barred from one just for saying Hello.

I was using forums for many years before I found this place so it was a true shock at how nice and generous members of this forum are. Made me look differently at forums. great place.

Chems":37b4mljc said:
To boot I think I've learnt the entire art of woodworking that I know from reading and having questions answered here on UKW.
Me too. Everything I've learnt about woodworking has come from videos, books and this forum.

Mark

p.s. Chems... The first post reminded me that this computer's still soldiering on since the virus thing last year, plus I have needed to reload windows from the copy you sent since, so thanks again! :D

mark aspin":1efkxpvm said:
p.s. Chems... The first post reminded me that this computer's still soldiering on since the virus thing last year, plus I have needed to reload windows from the copy you sent since, so thanks again! :D

You're very welcome!

I could have written everything the OP has said. It is great to find such a good bunch of people, it realy restores your faith in humanity.

James

Yes to all that. Plenty of evidence that people organise events, meet up in real life, send each other spare bits and pieces, exchange secret santa gifts etc. But most of all, they take the trouble to explain and document what they do - far better than many published books - and then make those explanations available to all for free.

Worth ignoring the occasional playground squabble for!

Under normal conditions its a great place to be , and yes lots of shared information and useful tips from the more knowledgeable , also kind gestures from forum members that are much appreciated :wink:

We do occasionally get some keyboard warriors and dummy spitting sessions , fortunately they fizzle out after a short time and normal harmony returns :lol:

Yup, I agree with all that - AND as a beginner/know nothing, I always get helpful answers to my daft Qs.

In other words "me three"!

AES

I'm a member of an unrelated forum where you can find a wealth of knowledge and experience, but similar to Huds' experience they are such a bunch of egotistical and immature primadonnas that polite conversation can be very difficult at times.
By comparison this forum is not just useful but a nice place to be.

Dodge":370c4vua said:
Hear Hear - Have to agree with everything that has been said above =D> =D>
I have to agree with Rog and all the other comments...as others have said, UKW has it's 'keyboard warriors' but generally it's a great place to hang out. I have two regrets, the first being Roy's (Digit) input on the General Forum. It doesn't seem quite the same anymore as there was usually always some interesting little snippet that he'd gleaned from the online papers to amuse or discuss.

Secondly...where's Alf, and when's she coming back? :cry: - Rob

My other interest is Motorcycles and I am a member of several motorcycle forums but this is the one I find my self constantly on so something must be right.

I get friendly helpful advice not just from asking questions but from seeing the input on others questions.

I have learnt loads and actually feel like I know a lot of people who I have actually never met.

A thoroughly nice place to hang out.

Mick

"Secondly...where's Alf, and when's she coming back? - Rob"

Assballutely, Oh Mighty Wilton Wood Guru!*

Dear Lady, please return! We miss your turn of phrase; and it's not too much to say we are pining for you...should we make a trunk call? upon what barque did you sail away?...have you branched out to summat new? Or, should we leaf you alone?...C'Mon Alice dear, speak up quickly before I inflict a second round of contrived, cringe-worthy rubbish on an otherwise lovely thread! [-o< [-o<

* Is it just me...or did that phrase sound just a wee bit like Marc Bolan to anyone else?

Sam, who's just an out of date trendy at heart.....

Back