uk wage for joiners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi
Does anyone know the uk national average rate per hour for self employed joiners, for fixing not joiners shop work.

If not any other help would be great ie
examples of prices per hour for the North, South of England etc

Come on guys

There must be someone who knows how much joiners charge per hr in there part of the country????

Please

Do you honestly think people who post to a woodworking forum are going to know the price of having a joiner in to do work by the hour? :shock: I can honestly say I have never had a Builder, Joiner, or Electrician to my house as I do everything myself. :p :p

It's like building companies advertising on DIY newsgroups - do they honestly expect DIY enthusiasts to be employing a builder?? :eek:

Seriously though, I did read your post but I haven't got a clue on prices/salary. I simply have no idea for the market rate for tradesman of any variety. I would imagine that a lot goes 'cash-in-hand'. Are you interested because you are pricing some work, have had a quote in, or are looking for a change of career?

You could try asking someone in to price up a job, or ring up some local joiners and ask their hourly rate, although I suspect they quote by the job.

Sorry, can't help more.

A_L

Hi

Why don't you try posting on the screwfix forum? I think I saw something similar recently.

Cheers
Neil

I do all my own diy jobs but the going rate in my neck of the woods, west UK, is £9-12 per hour for most trades. If you're desperate phone a few up and ask their hourly rate in your area as A_L says :wink:

Coggy

The standard reference used is Spons Architects' and Builders' Price Book which quotes rates for all building trades as both jobs and general labour rates. I believe that hourly rates quoted will include allowance for employer's NI and liability insurance. This is the bible for quantity surveyors and should be available through your local library. Rates do vary tremendously from area to area, also depending on the type of work (e.g. hardwood panelling pays a bit better than 2nd fix) and the skill level of the person (do you have, for example NVQs or City and Guilds?). I'd consider asking some of the local tradesmen what their rates are, but they will tend to be cagey, after all, will you discuss your salaryt with strangers? Many tradespeople tend to quote for the job as a whole as this allows them to apportion expenses such as insurance, telephone, rates, rent, etc.

A_L

asleitch":34bhhltn said:
I would imagine that a lot goes 'cash-in-hand'. Are you interested because you are pricing some work, have had a quote in, or are looking for a change of career?
Are you being serious? Any tradesperson in business on their own account will tell you that it is all but IMPOSSIBLE to do anything other than a tiny percentage of work this way without being caught! If you are in IT and aware of IR35, you are in a MUCH easier position than the average building trades contractor with the new regs which are now in place..... (and yes, I WAS in IT for a VERY long time...)
You could try asking someone in to price up a job...
:evil: ONLY someone in the comfortable position of flying a desk for a living could say that! It is precisely this attitude which is forcing so many tradesmen into charging for quotes, value redeemable if the job is awarded (my policy on larger jobs, BTW, gets rid of the time wasters). Doing this is to say the least disrespectful of the time and need to make a living others, especially those who can't guarantee a regular income.

Scrit

Hi
Thanks guys, i am fully qualified with city & Guilds.

Thanks everyone for your help, im setting up on my own so i am trying to get an idea of prices to charge. I live in the Yorkshire area.

between £10 and £15 per hour is what im finding the most

Rates will always vary depending on the local supply and demand. Two years ago I needed a tiler for my bathroom conversion as I just did not have the time. The plumber overseeing the job tried several of his contacts without luck as the lack of contractors, especially in the "wet" trades, means they are picking their jobs and charging higher rates. I ended up paying a hell of a lot for a mediocre job that I had to touch up and repair myself.

Good luck on the self employment side.

Back