UK Felder Group - A waste of time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at buying a set of Hammer machines, with all attachments, delivery and commisioning a price tag of over £7,000. They were unable to show me all the machines, and I have been waiting for one to be delivered into the show room. Should have been last Friday, but was yesterday. Only problem now, the bandsaw has been sold out of the show room so that is now not available to be seen.

My quote expires on Friday, and now I'm being told that it doesn't really matter as there may be a customers bandsaw to be seen.

I queried that if I was a customer, I wouldn't want my new machine to be used as a demo, only to be told that it wouldn't be used as they can't actually use any of the machines for health and safety reasons.

So, I have to pay all my money up front, hope the machines are as good as described in the brochures or as seen.

I guess it's back to the drawing board, with money firmly left with the credit card company.

I have nothing to say about Hammer in particular, but I do think that there is quite a problem faced by anyone who wants to buy a woodworking machine. WHen I was considering a panel saw I was unable to find any supplier who was in aa positon to demonstrate one or allow me to use one to check that it would do what I needed it to and to the required standard
Gap in the market, maybe?
John

Any chance that the dealer will help you find an existing customer will to demo their machines? Most of the combination machine dealers here in the U.S. are pretty helpful about finding someone in your area to demo a machine.

Wendell

Freetochat try contacting Robland (as combi sold by Axminster). I spoke the sales guy there and he said he'd demo anything for me or he'd arrange for someone local to me with one of their machines to demo it for me.
SCM/minimax made similar suggestions.

Hammer/Felder can only demonstrate the machines at their open days when they hire in a chap by the name of John Gubb who does the demos.
Most of Hammer/Felders sales reps couldn't plane and thickness a board let alone run a moulding etc. They are sales guys, not woodworkers who sell machines.

I've had considerable problems with Felder (see postings elsewhere).

Hi Freetochat,

Welcome to the strange world of Felder. It's not really the fault of UK Felder but Felder parent in Austria who control everything, and I mean everything here in the UK and I suspect elsewhere.

I got the same response as you when I asked for a demo, fortunately they were demonstating the following week as per "The Restorers" post above.

Don't get me wrong here they make some very good machines, and some not so good. if your machine when it arrives is a good one and set up properly you won't have any problems simply by the fact you won't have to contact Felder again unless you want to buy more equipment etc.
But if it's out of spec parts (Hammer Fences are poor) or has problems then IMHO opinion Felders after sales is absolutely rubbish. Felder Austria seem to have a completely different approach to customer care in comparison to UK companies.

If I was using machines to earn a living then I would definately buy elswhere. Simply beacause you couldn't afford the downtime and the lack of response from Felder Austria, via Felder UK.

You could try NMA Agencies in Huddersfield if you live in that part of the World they have a showroom with Sheppach and Ixis and are happy to demonstrate. Or Minimax

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies. I have been in touch with NMA and yes I have been offered a day at their premises to review all their machines. And all this without obligation. They have made all the right noises, and seem to want to help. The only problem for me is space, and they don't have a saw/spindle to match the B3. Just waiting for some guide prices so who knows it could be Felders loss.

Hi All,

Well I just took delivery of a Felder CF731 this week. It's been on order since March, so a long wait but arrived on schedule and in good condition. The commisioning engineer spent a whole day setting the thing up for me and doing test cuts etc - I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the thing. I too couldn't see a machine running prior to ordering (I was interested in noise levels etc) but I did see it in the flesh in their MK head quarters.

Based on my experience with other WW companies I would rate these guys pretty highly.

Hi, 100wheeler
Congrats on the CF731, nice machine, did you get the 2500mm slider ?.

I have no complaints about the Felder machines, I have the KF700P it's a good machine and well set up.

But it's a different story with the Hammer range IMHO. Poor fences just being one of the minus points. But as I mentioned in my earlier post the after sales is absolute pants.

Hi there,

No - couldn't justify a 2.5m slide but I did go for the 2m version with 1300mm outrigger.

That will keep me out of mischief for some time!

You guys have totally destroyed my illusions. I thought that when I got to heaven (or the other place), one thing I would have is a workshop big enough for a Felder saw. Now I find that Felder have feet of clay.

Well blow that for a laugh, I shall simply plan on a Knapp or Altendorfer (until someone else chimes in :cry: )

Hi Chris

waterhead37":m6h2pvc4 said:
Well blow that for a laugh, I shall simply plan on a Knapp or Altendorfer (until someone else chimes in :cry: )

You don't really want one of those, do you?

I know someone whose great grandfather, on a visit to Barnsley, met a man who knew the mother-in-law of a woodworker who had worked with the father of a chap who had actually used both saws. I couldn't remember exactly what had been said but, iirc, I'm sure he thought they might be pants. :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Could it be that Felder have a good reputation for supplying quality machines, and feel that they dont have to work at maintaining that reputation?

Could it be that Felder have a good reputation for supplying quality machines, and feel that they dont have to work at maintaining that reputation?

Freetochat,
You've hit the nail right on the head there.

Well blow that for a laugh, I shall simply plan on a Knapp or Altendorfer (until someone else chimes in

Chris,
Martin must be a contender :) But don't have sleepness nights over the Knapp :)

Back