Uk 3hp 240v extractors and impeller sizes....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at the end of the vid, he mentions a jet seperator..... i looked it up, its 4", although you could use 2 side by side..... the 'exhaust ' for the waste could then go through the wall to a shed and the exhaust for cleanish air voukd go through a couple of hepa filters back into the workshop to retain heat in the winter? Good idea or bad?

I dont know about metric math, but kev math is a bit hit n miss 😂

The reviews for the jet seperators are not great....

UPDATE!!

After an ebay win and a road trip, ive got a dust extrator to cannibalize!

The impeller is 390mm wide, the housing has inlet for 10" pipe, and 10x8 rectangular outlet. It has a 4kw 3 phase motor ( which I'll sell as im on 240v and bigger vfds are expensive ) i am planning to get a 2.2kw motor, which i hope is big enough.

Will update as i go forward 👍 thanks a lot to pete for putting up with my questions

My 4K VFD was about $325Can?187pounds to my door. It will let you spin it to 60cycle for about 20% greater flow than your 50cycle power. If you do use the 2.2kw single phase motor start it with all the blast gates closed so it can get up to speed quicker and not draw as much starting amps keeping the heat buildup in the windings down.

Pete

OK i will duck now and avoid having to do so later ;) but is there a reason why a industrial fan type blade would not work :unsure: somewhere in the remaining grey cells i think i know why its iffy, but its getting late and well you know how it is :LOL:

Hi pete, i can get a cheap one new for about £135, but after reading reviews i decided i would want a named brand. Rightly or wrongly i feel like it would be a better investment, but then the prices jump up considerably. If i keep its hopefully simpler.

After a bit of looking, i may have to get a 3kw motor, as the ones under that seem to have 24mm shafts, i need the '28' although the 3 phase seems to measure 27mm and was hard to seperate the impeller from....🙄 im hoping the big impeller will flow plenty enough to max the 6" duct

OK i will duck now and avoid having to do so later ;) but is there a reason why a industrial fan type blade would not work :unsure: somewhere in the remaining grey cells i think i know why its iffy, but its getting late and well you know how it is :LOL:

Squirrel cage fans and propellor fans can't pull much static pressure but have high airflows. Great for ventilation or moving air but lousy at sucking debris where there is more resistance. The "trash" type impellers have higher static pressures and decent flow so are better suited to dust collectors. Kev hasn't shown his impeller but it is an 8 blade cast aluminium one with straight blades. A little noisier than a backward inclined one.

Does that answer the question or did I miss the mark?

Pete

Sorry, i forgot, piks or it didnt happen! 🤣😁

Attachments

• 20210805_154115.jpg
    20210805_154115.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210805_143520.jpg
    20210805_143520.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210805_154923.jpg
    20210805_154923.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210805_143509.jpg
    20210805_143509.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 20
Hi pete, i can get a cheap one new for about £135, but after reading reviews i decided i would want a named brand. Rightly or wrongly i feel like it would be a better investment, but then the prices jump up considerably. If i keep its hopefully simpler.

After a bit of looking, i may have to get a 3kw motor, as the ones under that seem to have 24mm shafts, i need the '28' although the 3 phase seems to measure 27mm and was hard to seperate the impeller from....🙄 im hoping the big impeller will flow plenty enough to max the 6" duct

The one I got is the same one ClearVue Australia supply with all their Cyclones. They picked it after testing a bunch and selected it as the best for the money. They supply the Cyclones with 3 phase motor and spin them to 60hertz, 3450rpm instead of 2800 or so rpm on 50 hertz. The other big advantage of the VFD and 3 phase motor combination is that you can start/stop them as much as you like without overheating the motor. Single phase ones being limited to approximately 6 starts per hour.

Pete

👍i would probably be fine with the starts, but would the extra flow help? In that, if the motor and impeller are working well it should ( hopefully ) max out the amount the pipe can flow.... for the benefit of everyone else, pete posted me this link so i can work out the pressure drop over the lengths and bends i am intending to have:

http://www.freecalc.com/ductloss.htm
Im gonna have to head to bed now though, been a long day and i REALLY need my beauty sleep 🤣😇

Thank you Pete(y), on reading your answer, two or it may have been three of the afore mentioned grey cells got together and told me what i already knew but had somehow managed to forget, heck even my my youngest grandchild has cottoned on to how forgetful grandad is and try's it on come pocket money day :LOL:.
I looked at that vid of the Axminster gizmo and thought hell no at close to 4 grand i want it to hold a lot more than that , could have its uses though :unsure: where large volumes of chippings/shavings are not produced (y) and it takes up just as much space as a twin bagged one .
p.s. I should add " cor" it don't alf look nice though :sick:

Last edited:
👍......but would the extra flow help? In that, if the motor and impeller are working well it should ( hopefully ) max out the amount the pipe can flow....

The higher RPM's will give you higher static pressure which will help maintain the max flow as it helps to overcome inefficiencies in the ductwork and distance. Also you might be able to go to a larger duct diameter and increase the flow so that down the road you could draw enough air from a dusty producer like a wide belt (24" to 36"/ 610mm to 915mm) or run two machines at a time. A table saw and a jointer/surfacer running at the same time. Joint two edges and then rip a strip off both edges, back to the jointer/surfacer to do the next two edges and return to the saw. A technique I used when making tambours. You will never regret having more airflow.

Pete

I would love to read some thoughts on these myself, as I haven't a clue about these new GyroAir yokes.
I see its available from Axminster also.

I would love to read some thoughts on these myself, as I haven't a clue about these new GyroAir yokes.
I see its available from Axminster also.

we sold these for a while but they were too expensive for the target market, bin capacity was too small… but a very nice design (red dot award)

Have you thought about the noise your fan is going to make, I bought a biggish 3phase unit and when I tried it It was like a jet engine spooling up. Way too noisy for where I live. Also arent motors and fans matched to some degree so they dont draw too man amps under load. I noticed with the big one I had if it wasn't restricted to some degree and allowed to run wide open the amp draw was huge.

I'm sure I saw a triple bag industrial extractor 240v on the bay of fleas recently....about £200 buy it now....
I would buy it but the shipping to Crete would be horrendus at the mo, that n import duty....

Cheers for some insight, one thing they seemingly have over a Cyclone
is the noise factor seems a lot less.

Well out of my budget, I can't even afford this one down south for 90 euro's on a local site.
Boy I wish it were easier to get a courier, seemingly not easy enough to do in time for these things.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjYwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDB9fSwia2V5IjoicGhvdG9fMTg4ODE3NjIwIn0=

photo_188817622

There aren't trucking companies that take small loads and add them to larger ones going to another area? I'm guessing the euro price tag means it is out of country and a hassle at the moment to go get.

Noise from a cyclone or a bagger should be about the same given the same impeller. A backward inclined bladed one is supposed to be a little quieter than the straight finned ones like Kev's that he showed yesterday. They are all loud and everyone is happiest when they are enclosed in their own soundproofed room or put outside for the neighbours to enjoy. 😉

Pete

Its just a matter of getting it quickly.
Probably long gone by now since it was put up this morning.
Seems a few folks are using phone updates these days, as its getting harder to be the first one to call.
Even 10 mins is likely too long.

Cheers on that wee tip on the curved fins, I obviously glossed over at that part when briskly going through Pentz's website.
I presume Matthias mentioned this also, I must rewatch those videos.

Have you read of folks mentioning the noise factor is similar with these newer type of extractors Inspector?

Back