Uk 3hp 240v extractors and impeller sizes....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any 3hp 240v extractors? Ideally with an impeller size or 13 / 14" or bigger...... the fox f50 has a 12" impeller, which isnt quite optimal.
I would like to build a better extraction system, using 150mm ducting. I'm hoping to not spend thousands, my workshop isn't earning me money ( im a site chippy ) and have spent a lot over the last 6 months 🙄 its never ending....

Its worth adding i have emailed a few companies about centrifugal fan units asking for info and prices for anything with the above specs, and ideally able to draw 1500cfm in the ducting ( yep, it flows 1250cfm ish ) but if im doing it, better to go a bit over. Plus if i make the change to more workshop based work, i might need it.... dont want to do this twice....
Thank you,
Kev

I'd buy a 15" impeller if I had the choice.
Someone recently was selling one here , long gone now.
I believe the impeller came from the states, so I guess they may be hard to come by? Here's a rather good presentation, as bills site is difficult to get through

Thanks for the replies....
I'd buy a 15" impeller if I had the choice.
Someone recently was selling one here , long gone now.
I believe the impeller came from the states, so I guess they may be hard to come by?
Yep, bigger the better, they dont seem very common over here. Maybe i should trawl u.s ebay and see if i can import something, although the weight would be high :(

I could have a crack at making something but it might turn out to be rubbish 🤣 so better to buy one. The 3hp motor isnt a problem, but i imagine the impeller itself would be tricky to get right.

I have got a felder with twin bags and a cartridge filter ,runs all I want , you can pick one up second hand but they dont come around very often.

Thanks, I'll have a search

Kev

Got one of those Fox machines,never had a problem with it,a bit noisy but as its enclosed outside the work shop its not a problem to me.

I can see where you're coming from, a bit daunting having to buy an impeller if you can't find one locally.
That video is a good watch even if you plan to buy a suitable system.
Lots of tid bits of info, the best I've watched on the subject, from the perspective of a Joe Soap like myself.

Have you seen those new Harvey machines, they look a bit simpler than a cyclone.
I think Laguna might have one out also.
Not sure if they would be suitable, but just thought worth a mention.

All the best
Tom

Hi Mark,
What sort of machines are you running? And how are you ducted?

I will mount the new blower to the wall with the exhaust going out into a shed. Currently theres a load of things wrong with my setup and I spend a fair bit of time cleaning up, which also means I'm breathing dusty air. After a couple of decades on site, im used to it, but it's time i sort myself out ( including my site kit )

Thanks, kev

Table Saw
Band saw
16 " Thicknesser
Couple of Graduate lathes
Various sanders though i mostly use the little vac for sanding.
!00mm plastic spiral ducting with 4 blast gate ports.
Nothing fancy but it works for me, I also have one of those fine filters running most of the time that helps with the finer stuff.

I can see where you're coming from, a bit daunting having to buy an impeller if you can't find one locally.
That video is a good watch even if you plan to buy a suitable system.
Lots of tid bits of info, the best I've watched on the subject, from the perspective of a Joe Soap like myself.

Have you seen those new Harvey machines, they look a bit simpler than a cyclone.
I think Laguna might have one out also.
Not sure if they would be suitable, but just thought worth a mention.

All the best
Tom

Hi tom,
I'll have a look at the vid now and will look for the Harvey ones ( i havent heard of them )

Thanks, kev

I would love to read some thoughts on these myself, as I haven't a clue about these new GyroAir yokes.
I see its available from Axminster also.

😂 :ROFLMAO: near the end the woman asking if it's still going 😆 'yeah its still going'

The tablesaw crown guard extraction point was interesting, with the streamer tapes.....
As for the ducting, i was looking at metal, then last night found the large radius bends for 160mm soil pipes..... i dont think i need tonnes of duct, maybe 4 runs, each about 6m when you factor in coming down from the ceiling.

Table Saw
Band saw
16 " Thicknesser
Couple of Graduate lathes
Various sanders though i mostly use the little vac for sanding.

Ok cool, thanks 👍

I would love to read some thoughts on these myself, as I haven't a clue about these new GyroAir yokes.

Just watched that.... 1 annoying this is that manufacturers don't give a comparable measurement of flow , i.e some say cfm, some are i m3.... but anyway, somewhere in the last few days, i saw a thread ( probably the Australian site ) where a guy was playing with a smaller tube in the centre of a larger diameter main trunk, with a branch coming off the bottom of the main trunk and i believe had suction in the branch. His theory was the central flow was mostly clean air, the dust generally swirls around the outsides, so it effectively seperated cleanish air and dust, allowing the dirtiest stuff to drop down the branch into ( presumably ) a cyclone bucket
Hope that made sense, but thats probably what the gyro unit is doing

Hi,

I'm running the Felder RL125 in my workshop complete with 150 mm spiral ducting.
It has plenty of power with a 4hp motor.
Sucks really well. The furthest machine I have away from the extractor is a Felder spindle moulder which is about 8 metres away and it sucks no problem.
The only thing I would say is, it is not quite so good on MDF dust.
With regards to the Harvey machine being talked about, I looked at that at Axminster nice looking machine but the size of the waste bins are pitiful.
Mark.

With regards to the Harvey machine being talked about, I looked at that at Axminster nice looking machine but the size of the waste bins are pitiful.
Mark.
Thanks, i saw that in the axminster video..... its an odd sized unit really. A lot of floorspace for a small workshop and doesnt look like a powerful enough machine for a big workshop :dunno: they could have pumped it up a couple of foot and had some good bins in there

This is an unscientific home made version of the GyroAir principle. Dude is scary to watch at times.

Pete

Thanks pete, I'll sit diwn in a bit with a cuppa and watch that :)

Thanks for the help everyone

Latest posts

Back