UJK Multifunction Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
I am still debating the UJK Multifunction Workbench from Axminster, I went to have a look a few weeks ago and the trestles are definitely a non-starter, too flimsy.

Reviews are mixed on the Axminster feedback, I am a Festool fan but can't justify the price of the Festool option.

I only have one vice in the workshop and I am getting tired of improvising clamping for awkwardly shaped projects, I am hoping the UKJ Workbench will give me more options.

Anyone using and can recommend the UJK top? Without the stands, I am looking at a £200.00 investment + the accessories

have a look at Peter Millard's YouTube channel. i made a handy MFT bench variant based on his portable system. £50 ready-cut top off ebay, off-cuts of recycled mdf pallet box. mine fits over one of those plastic pop-up workbenches, or a pair of trestles. easy n cheap. here's just one of his:

I have been giving this some thought today and in simple terms, all I need is a flat work table with some dog holes in it and it doesn't need to be too long. The Trend option looked promising but poor review on the size of the holes. My idea at the moment is to buy an MFT top and rest it in a simple frame that can sit on my existing bench, it can be lifted on and off as required and there is an opportunity to have some overhang. The UJK top is my preferred option at the moment at around 100.00 unless anyone knows of anything better ?

My idea at the moment is to buy an MFT top and rest it in a simple frame that can sit on my existing bench, it can be lifted on and off as required and there is an opportunity to have some overhang.
That is how I am currently doing things, and with no holes in the main bench nothing falls through and you have a smoother bench if not using holes. Some of us do look at these tops as a consumable and so make our own using Parg guide system (£200) or the cheaper CNC design (£45) MDF Pro Jig to make Replacement Perforated Festool Type MFT /3 - LP Top both give good results. For a ready made top take a look at

Birch Ply Replacement Perforated Festool Type MFT /3 - LP Top at £69 in Birch ply.

In the future you may want more bench functionality and not just holes, I now also route dovetail slots in my MFT tops and use Microjig clamps and fixtures, something else you may wish to look at as it gives even more ideas. MATCHFIT Woodworking Jig and Fixture System | #1 Best-Seller in Jigs and Fixtures

What problem are you hoping the MFT table solves? If it's just additional clamping options, can you consider one of the following which will be far cheaper?

1. Drill dog holes in your existing bench and use some of these clamps

Aluminum alloy woodworking mft table hold down clamp woodworking desktop presser dare for quick manual pressing plate woodworking machinery accessories diy clamps Sale - Banggood.com

2. Buy the microjig system as Spectric says and route some dovetail slots in your bench

3. Make a section of your bench top removable to allow for under the bench clamping with some F-Clamps

Can you just make your own or would you rather buy & be done with it? Building your own has the advantage of being able to make it any size you want & also incorporate any sort of holes or fixing points you want rather than what someone else provides but obviously it's not for everyone, I quite often buy rather than build something these days.

I get the mft tops spectric mentions in birch ply, they are great, I like them better than the festool original.
I tried the jig, it went in the skip.

Ollie

I get the mft tops spectric mentions in birch ply, they are great, I like them better than the festool original.

Ollie

Do you not make your own tops? I have done 2 on the CNC both in Birch ply. When I get into the new workshop & decide on what is going where I will probably make at least another one lol

Do you not make your own tops? I have done 2 on the CNC both in Birch ply. When I get into the new workshop & decide on what is going where I will probably make at least another one lol

I have not done it yet, I do actually have a file somewhere that I downloaded for it.

Ollie

@segovia First I have to say I've no experience of using MFTs - except what I've seen on YT channels such as that by Peter Millard etc., but what I've now very recently turned to (thanks to a mention by another member in this forum) are the dovetail clamp system by Micro Jig - Matchfit. I've found it *extremely* useful.

I don't know if you are aware of such or whether they would be something for you to consider or not I have to leave up to you. An American system but available here in the UK from Woodworkers Workshop.

This is a link to a YT video on making up a table - and seemingly in use along side of on a MFT - which may help:

I have the Parf 2 and the birch ply jig and so far it is a case of six of one and a half dozen of the other, but I do like how little space the Parf takes up when not in use compared to the jig. I use a 1/4 bosch router and UJK guide bush with a Wealdon 12.7mm cutter, so what problem did you find with using it ?

I have the Parf 2 and the birch ply jig and so far it is a case of six of one and a half dozen of the other, but I do like how little space the Parf takes up when not in use compared to the jig. I use a 1/4 bosch router and UJK guide bush with a Wealdon 12.7mm cutter, so what problem did you find with using it ?
The jig I had was mdf not that it makes any difference to its function I suspect.
My problem was that it was a general pain to get right. First I tried my trusty big Makita that I use for worktop jigs. Did a few test holes, applied some aluminium tape to the guide bush till the hole was the right size, did a couple of rows by the time I got to the end of that it was not accurate again. I concluded it was probably dust collecting against the bushing causing the holes to be oval, cleaned it all up went over the same rows, now oversized holes, decided my guide bush was perhaps not staying still or something, makita use the clip in style, not that it has been a problem on plenty of worktops and other jigs.
Tried the Festool 1010 with screw in brass guide bush, made sure it was perfectly central, applied a bit of the tape to get the holes just right even used a new router bit. Not really much better, the holes clog with dust that can't be extracted, so you have to go so slow and do a tiny plunge at a time.
In the end I tried drilling out the centre for better dust extraction, didn't help much. I am sure with a spiral upcut or a maybe a compression bit it would be better. I made two tops and spent so much time arsing about trying to get it accurate that I couldn't face it again.

Ollie

I feel your pain, compared to just buying a top made on a CNC I think all methods involve some messing around and it only takes one hole to be wrong and thats it, start again. With my Bosch the bush is retained by two screws and I used a centering cone to ensure no eccenticity. Initially I plunged a hole through and then nibbled the rest out and got good results.

I have not done it yet, I do actually have a file somewhere that I downloaded for it.

Ollie

Just make a file rather than try & find one, shouldn't take long, it's just an array of holes, mind you I did have to machine 6 extra holes so it would fit on top of the centipede. Those were 19mm as that was the size hole on the centipede.

I am still debating the UJK Multifunction Workbench from Axminster, I went to have a look a few weeks ago and the trestles are definitely a non-starter, too flimsy.

Reviews are mixed on the Axminster feedback, I am a Festool fan but can't justify the price of the Festool option.

I only have one vice in the workshop and I am getting tired of improvising clamping for awkwardly shaped projects, I am hoping the UKJ Workbench will give me more options.

Anyone using and can recommend the UJK top? Without the stands, I am looking at a £200.00 investment + the accessories
I am a cabinet maker and really over the years have designed and built many things so I am saying that to say this, I simply don't really use the MFT system at all. It's clever sure but sometime back I built a very strong bench which I have very carefully drilled holes which I use occasional but the little MFT bench by festool and Axminster is way to small and dare I say it very over priced. I love both festool and Axminster and if I counted up the money I have spent with both companies I think it would scare me. My humble advice mate as an experienced carpenter is design and make your own. It will suit your shop size and space available and it's likely to be stronger and much more solid and probably much cheaper. Regards Louie

Attachments

• IMG20211226132320.jpg
    IMG20211226132320.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 34
Back