Ugly duckling!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's because of the state of the economy, but I think I've noticed a new trend in this section of the site. Some members have started to talk quite openly about the sort of tools that used not to be mentioned in polite company.

I've seen defence of the Stanley RB10!
I've seen positive descriptions of the Paramo Planemaster, and other oddities beloved only by their creators and the Design Council.

So, my supportive buddies, it's time to share with you my recent purchase from the big pit of temptation. I confess, dear brothers, that I have spent five of those funny 'Paypal' play money pounds to acquire this:

IMG_5129.jpg

It's an East German cousin to the Planemaster, from the 1970s. According to its leaflet, it's the 'Universal-Hobel' which I think means that if you have one of these, you won't want anything else.

Here it is in its beech, hornbeam, plastic and tarnished steel loveliness:

IMG_5123.jpg

The usp is that not only is it a smoother, it's also a rebate plane with that lovely European shavings-avoiding fence, but here there is no messing about with high-maintenance brass:

IMG_5124.jpg

It also has the chunky continental nicker, which unlike the degenerate Stanley ones, will not get lost in the shavings.

But that's not all: with a twist of a screw or two, it becomes a fillister:

IMG_5125.jpg

And for its last trick, it has a second blade, to make it into a scrub; this is the good side:

IMG_5128.jpg

So what do you think? Is this the bees knees or what?
Please form an orderly queue if you see the light and would like me to swap this for your bulky collections of old-fashioned offerings from Clifton, Veritas, Lie-Nielsen and the like. I'll be sympathetic, I promise.

That's quality. Really.

They'll all laugh, but don't listen, it's just a mixture of jealousy and an immature lack of understanding. At least that's what I told myself when I bought the Paramo.

I did, however, decide to keep future obscure purchases to myself; not through a fear of further message board ridicule, but I didn't want to push up the prices of such culturally valuable tools. Honest.

Actually, I've found myself drawn to weird planes recently. Worrying, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only gullible muppet... I mean design connoisseur... :wink: :mrgreen:

Even more charm than a Trabant or, as I believe it is affectionately known, a Trabby. I am green with envy.

Jim

Andy
You've made all of my Ulmias obsolete with that bit of Ostalgia
Erm maybe not.
Let usk know how it fares in real life - some of my oddball tools have proven themselves in unusual jobs
Matt

Andy - seriously I think that is a stunner. The combination of materials alone, from hornbeam to faux ivory... . I'm not sure I'd use it (not saying I wouldn't though), but I would definitely have it around on display. Prettier than my Stanley 45, and probably easier to use too. Very nice find.

p.s. could it be an early relative of the Primus European planes - the hornbeam, and the knob look familiar.

From the drawing I was thinking "Well, that's not so bad", and then the full loveliness of the grey plastic was revealed unto me, and a wave of nausea came crashing in. Replace the plastic though, and it's... well, I assume it's functional. Five of your Earth pounds though? Yeah, um, arguably money better spent on therapy...

AndyT":3k1s61tc said:
Maybe it's because of the state of the economy, but I think I've noticed a new trend in this section of the site. Some members have started to talk quite openly about the sort of tools that used not to be mentioned in polite company.

I've seen defence of the Stanley RB10!
I've seen positive descriptions of the Paramo Planemaster, and other oddities beloved only by their creators and the Design Council.

So, my supportive buddies, it's time to share with you my recent purchase from the big pit of temptation. I confess, dear brothers, that I have spent five of those funny 'Paypal' play money pounds to acquire this:

It's an East German cousin to the Planemaster, from the 1970s. According to its leaflet, it's the 'Universal-Hobel' which I think means that if you have one of these, you won't want anything else.

It might not be cabinet making nirvana, but as the only plane in a house holder's "screwdrivers and fuses" kitchen drawer, I think it looks a better bet than a planemaster.

BugBear

Ok, I'm now feeling a little better, thanks to your warm support and words of wisdom!

As soon as I can, I'll top up my medication, put a cold flannel round my head, and go back into the workshop to sharpen the blades, and see what it will do. Expect to see some more pics from the CCTV system any day now.

Hi Andy....

After much research I found the information you require to get the best from this masterpiece!

CLICKY DE CLICK!

Only joshing mate...only joshing...it's um...nice! #-o

Well...it's nicer than a Planemaster....(ok...I'm gonna quit here when I'm ahead....) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

Thats a stunner I've been looking for one of these for a while now....

Since the handbrake cable snapped on the wifes car :D

bugbear":ounycxox said:
I think it looks a better bet than a planemaster... BugBear

jimi43":ounycxox said:
Well...it's nicer than a Planemaster... Jim

Them's fightin' words...

I really think you all should choose your words more carefully, especially given the fragile mental states of some of the contributors to this thread, you'll drive us...I mean them to this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-19208- ... 060wt_1270

You won't be able to live with yourselves.

Scouse":j6grvgu4 said:
bugbear":j6grvgu4 said:
I think it looks a better bet than a planemaster... BugBear

jimi43":j6grvgu4 said:
Well...it's nicer than a Planemaster... Jim

Them's fightin' words...

I really think you all should choose your words more carefully, especially given the fragile mental states of some of the contributors to this thread, you'll drive us...I mean them to this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-19208- ... 060wt_1270

You won't be able to live with yourselves.

AAAAAAHHHH!!!! My EYES!!! MY EYES!!! :shock:

See what happens! You make cheese...the mould gets everywhere! Even Blue Cheese! OMG...I am feeling queasy!! 8-[

Jim

It is nicer than a Planemaster. But that's like saying Genghis Kahn was nicer than Pol Pot; it's rather faint praise...

The Draper would have to be, um, possibly Attila the Hun?

"that's like saying Genghis Kahn was nicer than Pol Pot; it's rather faint praise..."

I love it when threads begin to go 'off piste'. There's always much more to discover down the side streets. But that Universal is prettier than the Paramo (IMHO, but I do know a very humble lot about pretty, as it happens). I propose that the Draper Hobbyist is quite 'Designer-utilitarian'.

(and b.t.w Scouse... you really must be drilling a very mass of holes. That lot is down right silly. Sell some and correct yourself.)

Now, now. do I detect a hint of plane snobbery running through this thread? Seriously though, it is all good fun but surely the real question is, how is the quality and how well does it work? I am sure there must have been some good stuff made inf the old eastern bloc but what we need to know is whether this was one. It may not be pretty but you will struggle to convince me that it looks any worse than the Veritas small scraper plane, for example, which has been widely praised despite its plug ugly looks.

So, come on Andy, is it any good?

Jim

yetloh":lqka50ub said:
Now, now. do I detect a hint of plane snobbery running through this thread? Seriously though, it is all good fun but surely the real question is, how is the quality and how well does it work? I am sure there must have been some good stuff made inf the old eastern bloc but what we need to know is whether this was one. It may not be pretty but you will struggle to convince me that it looks any worse than the Veritas small scraper plane, for example, which has been widely praised despite its plug ugly looks.

So, come on Andy, is it any good?

Jim

Joking aside, I will sharpen it and do some experiments and report back. It may take a while though as this looks like being an extra busy week and I won't have much time in the evenings.

Alf":nxjeqmnf said:
It is nicer than a Planemaster. But that's like saying Genghis Kahn was nicer than Pol Pot; it's rather faint praise...

The Draper would have to be, um, possibly Attila the Hun?
I don't agree. All of the above cut down hordes which in the case of the Draper can be considered highly unlikely :)

Latest posts

Back