U.S. Stanley No6

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Having followed twothumbs 'Ruined' thread Andy T told :wink: me to post pics of this one.

6-1.jpg

I found it about a year ago on eBay and it was in the UK (I have often got old Stanleys from the States where the choice is far better but shipping can be around £30). I think this one cost about £40. It arrived covered in oil which had clearly been there quite some time, and was everywhere including knob and tote. Basically it looked very sorry, and was checked over briefly (all present and correct) and set aside.
I finally got round to cleaning it (etc.) a few weeks ago, and the blade and cap iron still need work, the cap in particular.

I'm certain it is a very early one. The Stanley dating site would suggest around 1890, but I think it's earlier than that. I saw a thread on a US forum around the time I got this and the knob fixing screw (threaded all the way through) only seems to appear on the really early ones:

6-4.jpg

The knob and tote are beech, the body has the S casting mark, and the blade is Stanley Rule & Level. No patent marks of course, and no frog adjuster.

6-2.jpg

6-3.jpg

Here it is with my very early No4:

P1000300.jpg

Any knowledge of the specific details of this No6 would be appreciated. I'm sure it's early one, and I want it to be!

May be off on the hunt for a 4 1/2 now, maybe from the States, and certainly more expensive than twothumbs' bargain.

Attachments

• 6-1.jpg
    6-1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 6-4.jpg
    6-4.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 6-2.jpg
    6-2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 6-3.jpg
    6-3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,282
  • P1000300.jpg
    P1000300.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,282
Yes that is a bit special.

Given that the fundamentals are all there, it's interesting to reflect that the Stanley company spent the next hundred years and more telling its customers that each new development was a necessary improvement.
How is it in use?

Hi Andy - it promises to be very good, but I will need to spend a little more time on the cap and the back of the blade. The sole is excellent, a little pitting but v flat everywhere it needs to be (fades away a tads near the back, I mean a thou maybe... ).
Very pleased you like it/them Matthew. I really must get round to calling you about blades for my very dusty LNs. They are all A2 and not at all go2.
Thanks for the link tt - it's good for the mainstream ones (4s etc) but when you go a bit off-piste (like a 6) it doesn't pick up on some of the defining details. I reckon my 6 is 1882, maybe 83. It's not important really is it, I just have a romantic thing about the really early ones.

Hi Douglas,
Did you have to pay any import taxes or any fees like that? I've always wanted an american Stanley plane and Disston saw but was never sure how to handle things like this.

Hi J - no, not a cent, ever. I think I have bought 4, maybe 5 from the U.S. and don't recall a single problem. I don't actually know the duty situation on second-hand items like this but I wonder if others here have had the same experience?
It is certainly the very best hunting ground for old Stanleys, and I also notice that US sellers very often take trouble to photograph really well and describe better. It's not so easy to find a good one over here, based on one soft-focus mobile shot from a 'trader' that picked it up at a boot fair... :lol:
I'd say with shipping I have paid (all in) around £70 - 90, but for the right one I felt it was worth it (a Sweetheart No3 springs to mind in particular).

Back