Tyzack Centenary Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoelD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.
Picked up a lot of 8 saws for 15 quid last week. Few nice S&Js and a Tyzack Sons & Turner Centenary Saw, 7 point. At first it looked to be too badly rusted (it looked in worse condition than any other I've found to date, not helped by thick white paint at points), but wouldn't you know it - my step-daughter and I were busily restoring a few of them this evening, and after some scraping, WD40, and sanding an etching appeared. I can make most of it out, especially the logo, but there's more and Google hasn't helped much.
It seems to read:
"Est
This saw was made as a result of..."
And I can't make out the rest, as it's worn too much.
Anyone have any idea?

Also, the handle is a bit ugly. Gummy feel, some rot, etc, but I reckon it can be restyled easily. Doesn't look like beech grain, either. Maybe Rosewood? Difficult to tell as it's basically black at this point.

I'll stick some up tomorrow.
Hopefully I can get the light right to show the etching.

There's a family history site at tyzack.net which includes some pictures of the Centenary Saws in this pdf.

http://tyzack.net/Saws.pdf

It may be a bit too low resolution to read the etch though!

The Index download, if it comes from the same catalogue, gives a date for the catalogue of 1921 and a foundation date for the company of 1812, so some clues as to likely age there.

Ah,brilliant find!
So it is certainly a rosewood handle (admittedly, mine has long since lost the nickel plating on the nuts).
Interestingly though, the plate has "7 POINTS" stamped into it, while those in the catalogue are 6 points.

It's a shame that the image quality doesn't allow the etching to be read.
Plus, I can't vouch for how well it performs or how long the teeth need between sharpening just yet!

What I can see is that mine is a 22" A1. I reckon it's a bargain regarding inflation to have what was a saw costing 8/8 for just under 2 quid.

Yes, comparing prices across the ranges, yours was definitely a top notch model.

whiskywill":3svisw07 said:
The saw did not not cost 8/8. It cost 104/- (shillings) or £5 and 4 shillings. £5.20 in new money.

An easy mistake to make.
It's a wholesale catalogue, with nearly everything priced in dozens.
One twelfth of 104s is indeed 8s 8d.

AndyT":1wnhtn0n said:
whiskywill":1wnhtn0n said:
The saw did not not cost 8/8. It cost 104/- (shillings) or £5 and 4 shillings. £5.20 in new money.

An easy mistake to make.
It's a wholesale catalogue, with nearly everything priced in dozens.
One twelfth of 104s is indeed 8s 8d.

Apologies, I was wrong. I didn't notice that was the cost of a dozen. I did think it was a rather expensive saw for the time. What is the date of the catalogue?

Probably 1921, but that's assuming that the various scanned or transcribed sections all come from the same catalogue.

Back