Type of hinge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the back of a blanket chest currently in the course of construction.

chest hinges.png

The lid overhangs the top of the legs by about 5 mm so I can't see how bog standard butt hinges will work without fouling the leg.

Are there any hinge types suitable for this type of set up? The only other option I can think of is to fit a spacer on the back rail and use 'standard' hinges.

Thanks

PS - yes , - I know I should have thought about this at the design stage but I got carried away!!

Attachments

• chest hinges.png
    chest hinges.png
    555.7 KB · Views: 166
Thanks Mike but the frame and panel construction doesn’t lend itself to strap hinges (and I love those wooden home made(?) ones).

I do think my only option is to build up the back rail and use butts.

Ah well, - teach me to design properly mext time!

Argh, I know exactly what you're looking for but cannot remember the proper name. It's some kind of cranked hinge which throws the pivot point out the back of the box a little, which allows the lid to lift up and over the ledge.

It's going to keep me up all night trying to remember!

You could still use ordinary butts. Mitre the tops of the back panel stiles and chisel out a matching mitre in that area of the lower edge of the lid. Get this right and (assuming the lid isn't too heavy) you could exploit your mistake as a way to hold the lid open.

Trevanion":356ehaw3 said:
Argh, I know exactly what you're looking for but cannot remember the proper name. It's some kind of cranked hinge which throws the pivot point out the back of the box a little, which allows the lid to lift up and over the ledge.

It's going to keep me up all night trying to remember!
Yeah I used them on a toy box I made for my godson. I bought several cause they were cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Picture added
bdb11f5185750466dce6c9436999fd78.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I've had a look at many images for the cranked hinges and concerned the pivot point isn't far enough back. I suspect I'll need to order a couple of different pairs and see how I get on.

Mitring the back rail is a good idea but the leg 'stand off' means this could end up looking a bit ugly? Still under consideration though.

Mike's post still has me intrigued and I'm seriously thinking about some wooden hinges. Trouble is my pillar drill is a ratty old thing and I doubt I'll get the accuracy I need.

stuartpaul":kbfnjn81 said:
.......Mike's post still has me intrigued and I'm seriously thinking about some wooden hinges. Trouble is my pillar drill is a ratty old thing and I doubt I'll get the accuracy I need.

I made those before I owned a pillar drill. I must have drilled it with an electric hand-held drill, or an "egg beater"-type. Drilling that hole accurately is the most difficult part of the process, and is the first step after marking out.

Latest posts

Back