Type II wood chips??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
Was just reading the destructions for my newly arrived Veritas MkII Honing Guide and....

....could someone enlighten me as to what a "Type II wood chip" is :?: :shock:

....assuming of course that it doesn't refer to a roll of wallpaper! :? :)

Scott":1fe46n4w said:
....could someone enlighten me as to what a "Type II wood chip" is :?: :shock:
It's the later model with the improved adjuster... :wink: Go here and go to the "Instr" link next to the "2-1/4" Blade, 38° Bevel" at the bottom of the page.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf. Is that a common designation/classification for chips or a Veritas one?

I believe Mr Lee Snr. uses it in his "definitive" book on sharpening, so it's fairly widely known as well as being something of a Lee Valley thing.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks guys. you learn something new every day! :D

Frank D.":3mgwtfb4 said:
R Bruce Hoadley uses the term in his book "Understanding Wood" (the first edition came out around 25 years ago).
D'oh! Now I recall that mentioned before; thanks, Frank. Amazingly I don't have either book. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

garywayne":1dhcceew said:
Excuse me for butting in, and excuse my ignorance. :oops:
Are you saying that a, "Type II wood chip" is a 38 Deg blade?
ATB Gary.
Hi Gary,

Type II chips are produced by any sufficiently high angle blade be it in a BU or BD plane.

The higher angles simply cause the wood shaving to fold on itself ("break") at the tip of the blade before reaching a chip breaker (in the case of a BD plane).

This in turn limits the amount of tearout, which is caused by the shaving "climbing" the blade/chip breaker and splitting down and forward of the blade before "breaking."

Back