Tyne Cub lathe issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Thorogood

Reaction score
Hi, I help run Knighton Mens Shed a charitable organisation to combat isolation issues for men. We have had a Tyme Cub lathe donated to us but We have no chuck or spindle to attach a chuck to. Can anyone help with advice as to what We need and how to obtain it please?
Kind regards
John

Not familiar with that lathe but do you have a picture of the headstock so that we can see what you are looking at as it seems strange not to have a spindle

3/4"x16 is the standard for the Cub & Avon, but don't assume that it is.
My Cub is 1"x8 with 2MT in both head & tailstocks. I got mine from the original owner, who told me he was offered upgrades when he ordered it.

Hi, I help run Knighton Mens Shed a charitable organisation to combat isolation issues for men. We have had a Tyme Cub lathe donated to us but We have no chuck or spindle to attach a chuck to. Can anyone help with advice as to what We need and how to obtain it please?
Kind regards
John
Speak to Derek a nice guy to deal with he used to sell them i think
Company Name: Pyatt Woodworking

Phone/Fax No.: 01902 743973

email: [email protected]

We are located in Tettenhall, north west side of Wolverhampton, just off the A41.

6 miles from M54 junction 3 and 3 miles from M54 junction 2.

Visiting:

Contact should be made prior to visit.​

You are very lucky to have a Tyme Cub wood lathe donated, it is a very good machine, very well made and extremely strong. Parts and upgrades to take modern head and tail stokes are all readily available. The standard Cub has just a 3/4 inch hollow centre thread, this hole takes a MT1 head stock. The tail Stoke is also MT1 - MT for Morse Taper. The Nova or SuperNova G3 would be a good scroll chuck to use and will come with the correct fittings for a Tyme Cub when you order it. Secondhand chucks are readily available but may have faults. This is a good strong machine, and the headstock rotates for bowl turning. I own such a machine and if yours has been well looked after will outlast many of the latest all singing and dancing machines from far off countries.
Regards

3/4"x16 is the standard for the Cub & Avon, but don't assume that it is.
My Cub is 1"x8 with 2MT in both head & tailstocks. I got mine from the original owner, who told me he was offered upgrades when he ordered it.
Are you sure about that? Pretty sure my Avon was 20mm diameter and 2mm pitch, which most listings seem to offer. But if the OP can find a friendly man in the shed with a metalworking lathe, a new spindle with 3/4" by 16 would be a good choice since there is a lot of 3/4 by 16 (the old Coronet standard from the 1960s) out there.

20mm x 2 (3/4) is stated in original spec sheet. The thread is also originally quoted in both metric and imperial...
regards
FCCF6839-C59A-44F3-80B2-66EE5B560AC1.png

Last edited:
The thread on a Tyme cub is 20 x 2.0 not 3/4". Mine was a vintage machine and was very definitely so, as I stated on another thread I bought a tap to make my own chucks etc and I still have that.

20mm is 3/4" . Original spec as this is a vintage machine is pre metric, when we had Pounds, shillings and pennies, even half pennies and thru pence pieces. The thread is also originally quoted in imperial...
regards
As already pointed out 3/4" is not 20mm but 19.05mm a big differance.

20mm thread was standard but they offered as an option the 3/4" thread.

As already pointed out 3/4" is not 20mm but 19.05mm a big differance.

20mm thread was standard but they offered as an option the 3/4" thread.
Quite right it was an option though I think rarely taken up. The cub was first sold as such in 1978
This might be of interest.

Tyme Cub
Smaller and cheaper than the Avon (and judging by the numbers on the used marked almost certainly the best seller in the range) the 4.-inch centre height Cub was a cut-price model that still used an all-steel, cast-iron and aluminium construction and the square-section steel-bar bed of the Avon. The swing over the tool-rest support bracket was 5 inches (125 mm) and the bowl- turning capacity 15 inches (380 mm) with the headstock - providing it had the optional raiser block beneath it - able to be swung through 90° to face forward. The standard capacity between centres was 19.5 inches (500 mm) but also available were models that gave 29.5 inches (750 mm) and 39 inches (1000 mm) - the simple bed rails allowing almost any length to be constructed providing that some form of intermediated foot (or feet) could be arranged to keep things from flexing.
Power came from a 0.5 h.p. 1-phase 1425 r.p.m. motor arranged, as on the Avon, driving direct to the spindle over Poly-V pulleys that gave four speeds of 480, 800, 150 and 2000 r.p.m. However, at extra cost, the makers offered both a more powerful 3/4 h.p. 1425 r.p.m. motor and a 2800 r.p.m. unit that gave speeds of 950, 1500, 2500 and 3800 r.p.m., this being intended to make the lathe for suitable for tuning very small diameters. The spindle carried, as standard, a nose threaded 2 mm x 20 mm (or, optionally, 3/4" x 16 t.p.i.) with, like the tailstock, a No. 1 Morse taper socket.

M20 to be specific,
Hopefully help is appreciated somewhere......
Regards
Although @Lons beat me to it, I can't let that go!!!

'Help' is greatly appreciated when the information is accurate. I've only noticed two posts from @Seascaper and both have offered inaccurate information! As has already been said, 3/4" is 19.05mm not 20 and an M20 thread is 2.5mm pitch not 2. For the benefit of @Seascaper, the use of the prefix 'M' for metric threads - without further reference to the pitch - means that it belongs to the Course Series. If the pitch is anything other than the Course Standard then the pitch has to be specified as well. Even a Fine Series M20 has to be specified as M20-1.5.

20mm x 2mm is a non-standard so should always be referenced thus.

Personally, I don't actually like the designations shown in Lons' attachment since it promotes the use of non-standard OD/Pitch combinations as though they were 'Standard'.

To avoid any confusion can we all agree that the standard headstock spindle is

20 mm x 2
B28EB23B-D013-434B-9754-052931E89CD1.png

Last edited:
Back