Tyme cub

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pludd

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to all this internet stuff, so sorry if this goes wrong. I have access to an old tyme cub lathe. I have loved playing around on it, making some handles and eggs to carve.
I would love to get hold of a manual for it so as to know what chucks ect I can look for to do more with it, it only has a fork type chuck and a fixed bit at the other end, which can squill at times, a bit of wax helps. Can anyone help with a manual?
Thanks paul

Hi Pludd

I had a cub ( short bed ) probably 30 years ago and turned some nice things on it, I can't remember if it was no. 1 MT but Phil is most likely right however the spindle thread was definitely 20mm x 2.0 because at the time there was little around in the way of accessories and I bought a decent quality tap ( I still have it in a drawer :) ) and I made up some wood faceplates and simple chucks as well as drilling out an old alloy faceplate and threading it. If you do some research online there might be an adapter available to convert one of the common size chucks to fit.

Hi, I am new to all this internet stuff, so sorry if this goes wrong. I have access to an old tyme cub lathe. I have loved playing around on it, making some handles and eggs to carve.
I would love to get hold of a manual for it so as to know what chucks ect I can look for to do more with it, it only has a fork type chuck and a fixed bit at the other end, which can squill at times, a bit of wax helps. Can anyone help with a manual?
Thanks paul
Thanks paul

Thanks paul
I have a cub The spindle has a m20x2 thread for definite there are no spindle adaptors out there I am at the moment trying to get one made to fit a Rutland chuck at an engineering company there is a replacement spindle that's 33

I think some of the later Tyme cubs were 3/4" x 16 but the early ones were M20 x 2mm so it's worth checking which you have!

You can sort out the squealing fixed centre by taking that out and replacing with a 1MT live centre.

Thanks paul
Hello,
I have a spare Nova scroll chuck that came off my Tyme Cub lathe. If you have not got a scroll chuck it would make life easier. Not using it as a I replaced it with a new one a couple of years ago so this older version is available and has the correct thread to fit. If you search Tyme Cub on this site you will come up with all the information you are looking for including pdfs for it with all the technical info. I have had one for about 20 years, it is a good solid machine which takes up little room. You can get a book, John Sainsbury, Woodturning Tools and Equipment that features this machine which is well recommended, even has this lathe on the cover.
image.jpg

It is probably over engineered by today’s standards. One can upgrade the switch for safety and it makes turning on and off easy.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Regards

I have a cub The spindle has a m20x2 thread for definite there are no spindle adaptors out there I am at the moment trying to get one made to fit a Rutland chuck at an engineering company there is a replacement spindle that's 33
Hello,
To let you know that the Nova G3 is available with an off the shelf thread adapter, one has to specify Nova G3 INSERT model / Tyme Cub and it will come all ready to fit. It is a very good chuck, beautiful bit of kit.
Regards

Latest posts

Back