Tyme 17-37

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have just acquired a Tyme 17-37.

I picked it up yeterday, and I have never done any turning before, so hope to have a go next weekend, after it's reassembled. It came with a set each of Marples and Fern turning chisels. I presume the Marples would be better - but only because I've heard of them.

There are two main backing plates that fit on the chuck screw, and a three jaw chuck. Is that three jaw likely to be for wood? It looks awfully lie a metal working one?

There appear to be a couple of screw holder chuck bits - but no screws. I've seen the sort of thing that's missing on the Axminster site - but the ones I need are 6mm. Are these likely to be available?

There's also couple of other bits that I don't understand at all - they'll need some pictures if you're to be able to help :D

Hello Beanwood, welcome to woodturning! It might be useful to checkout the getting started guide here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/new-to-turning-help-safety-forum-information-t42854.html

As for your lathe chuck, if it has 3 jaws it is likely to be a metal chuck, and wont be suitable for holding wood. But a photo will confirm - does it have 3 pointed ends like a metal chuck? A woodturning chuck has curved jaws that form a circle.

Best of luck!

Beanwood":1kuu8d9w said:
Hello all, I have just acquired a Tyme 17-37.
There's also couple of other bits that I don't understand at all - they'll need some pictures if you're to be able to help :D

Have a look here Tyme lathes as the article is pretty detailed about the lathe types and options.

This article provides a lot of info on thread sizes if you still don't know what thread size you have Thread sizes

And lastly this article may be very useful too Measuring threads

Thanks all for your replies, and the links

Looks like it's a metalworking chuck - so I'll probably need to replace that at some point.

That book looks good Phil - so it's now on order :D (I can't quite work out if the later version has the DVD or not - but time will tell when it arrives....)

Malcolm - thanks yes I've been over the Lathes .co thread a few times - I measured the outside at 3/4 inch last evening - but I'll confirm the TPI before ordering anything. The link for Thread measuring could prove really useful.

Best of luck getting turning.
There are several facebook turning and selling groups which are also a good source of advice and kit

Back