Two Yew turnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltrout512

Established Member
Reaction score
Having seen turned objects with the bark left on hadn't appealed to me before until the other day I decided to see what I could do. So here we are some photos of the finished items. Both are Yew and have a button polish finish.

Small bowl
003-14.jpg

002-16.jpg

Small beaker,

004-11.jpg

005-13.jpg

All comments welcome.

Not too keen on these Malcolm :( I like things with a bit of a bark inclusion and I really like natural edge pieces but for me the rims need to be a constant thickness, I appreciate you cant do this when keeping the whole outer of the log but it just doesn't look right to me. Plus with Yew suely the bark isn't the most exciting part?

Sorry to sound down on them :oops:

JT

Nice idea Malcolm,and nicely turned,but by doing them this way you are taking the best colouring/figuring away and been left with the paler sapwood,with just the purpley colour heartwood left at the bottom.
I think these sort of pieces look nice when goblets are turned,or even egg cups :wink: so you can see the best part of the Yew.
Keep experimenting though :D

Good to see you trying something different Malcolm, I too think that although they show Yew in a different form they do not show its beauty off to its best.

However done with smaller branch pieces to form rustic napkin rings might be an idea.

I think Yew is a beautyful timber and can look well with some small bark inclusion,but the beauty is hidden on this one until you look inside.
The applied coulouring looks super if it could be used on a small bark inclusion. Great idea Malcolm but would like to see more of the grain.
Could you remount it and mabe turn it so only some bark is showing and have that colour. But if you like it thats what counts. REgards Boysie.

Thanks for your replies, I am not keen on them myself. You could call it a test piece or two. Having said that because you are leaving the bark on they don't take very long to turn out and they are different.

Many Thanks

Back