Two Noddy questions...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Nako

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Two beginners questions - I thought that I'd lump them together rather than flooding the forum.

Firstly.. I have a very basic dust extraction system in my tiny workshop which works ok..ish. However, anything other than dust (ie particularly shavings from the thicknesser) blocks it completely. I realise that the clue is in the name.. ie 'dust' extractor !

My workshop wont even fit another hand plane in it, so a cyclone system isn't appropriate and currently I'm thicknessing outdoors in the garden, which means that the flower beds are covered in shavings.

So.. my question is.. is there a product or material that I can use to capture the shavings ? I'm think (probably wrongly !) of maybe a large material bag that allows the air through but collects the shavings ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Second question. I have an Evolution Rage R210mm mitre saw that I've had for years. My main beef (aside from the appalling dust extraction) however is that it's cuts are extremely coarse and tears out pretty much everything. It still has its orginal blade, which I appreciate wasn't designed for fine woodworking. The blade is 210mm with a bore size of 25.4mm

Can anyone recommend a replacement that will not only fit, but will cut cleanly !

Thank you in advance.

I have an 80T blade from Saxton Blades on mine (a cheapie I was given) and it cuts perfectly cleanly. (I keep the blade that came with it for cutting firewood.) It wasn't expensive - something like £16 - but it's more than good enough for what use I give it. (Saxton do good value jigsaw blades as well.)

You really need a hvlp (high volume low pressure) chip extractor for a PT.

You could get a can type one with the same footprint as your dust extractor.

Another option which I nicked from a local men's shed is to put my DX + my air comp outside in a lean to extension. That way the fine dust and the noise is kept outside.

Cheers James

James is on the money. Its best for any dust extractor to be outside the work space or at least venting outside. Even the good ones can leak fine dust so no point just recirculating dust in the work space. It's the fine dust you can't see that damages your health.
Regards
John

I have an 80T blade from Saxton Blades on mine (a cheapie I was given) and it cuts perfectly cleanly. (I keep the blade that came with it for cutting firewood.) It wasn't expensive - something like £16 - but it's more than good enough for what use I give it. (Saxton do good value jigsaw blades as well.)

Saxton blades ordered - thank you.

i dont know about you, but i had a r210 and it wasn't accurate at all. and eventualy just stoped working, just to let you know, and be ware of. i replaced it with a DLS110z...... minor improvment.

i dont know about you, but i had a r210 and it wasn't accurate at all. and eventualy just stoped working, just to let you know, and be ware of. i replaced it with a DLS110z...... minor improvment.

I agree.

I do use it for cross cuts but it's not really suitable for fine work.

It's on the list of equipment that needs to be upgraded, but in the meantime....

Latest posts

Back