Two first time projects Hollow Form & Stick

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have not produced any hollow forms before and as our last club compertition was for a hollow form I thought I would now share it with you. The main form is ash with an Indian Laurel neck.
Picture093.jpg

Picture094.jpg

My second first time project is a stick in oak with a cocobolo ball handle with a brass tube fitting and brass tip with a hard rubber insert.
My reason for making the stick is we are visiting our relations in North Wales in early August and my cousin is a former Welsh stick making champion who keeps promising to make me a stick and so I am going to surprise him instead.

Picture092.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Picture091.jpg

So there we are, I have enjoyed the new challenges making them your valued comments please,
Regards,
Ian

Both nice,but the walking stick has a really classy look to it,think mainly due to the cocobolo - but it's just an aesthetically pleasing shape/style :D
Like the contrast of timbers on the hollow form,personal preference would be for the curve of the laurel to flow more with the curve of the ash - but bear in mind,50% of my hollowing attempts so far have resulted in 2-piece turnings.. :oops:

Andrew

Hi Ian,got to be honest mate and say I don't like the hollow form, The collar doesn't look right for me, It stands up too far from the edge of the form and the angle changes on it. Still for a first HF its still in one piece and finished so thats got to be good :)

The cane on the other hand is fabulous 8),it really looks the business.Couldn't fault it if I tried :D Well done.

JT

I really like the plain classic lines of the Walking Stick, the simple tapered shaft shows a good control of form and because of the lack of embellishment leaves no room to hide any turning/finishing imperfections.

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the comments and I am the first to admit I am not experienced with HF's and I do struggle with the esthetics of arty pieces as I am much more inclined towards practical pieces like bowls, boxes etc. But I am always prepared to have a go. The stick was given plenty of attention as it will be scrutinized by my cousin who was a past champion stick maker.

Hi Johnny, As you said at least its in one piece. I made it for our club competition and I really must read a few books on the technique to improve, as well take advice from you guys. Pleased you liked the stick.
By the way hows the head? That made me cringe a bit.

Hi Chas, Thanks for the comments on the stick, I had debated wether to decorate any part of it but in hindsight I believe I made the right choice.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian, as has been said the H/F Looks good but the contrasting piece on top would look better if it blended into the ash form IMO. The stick on the other hand looks very Professional and I'm sure they are in for a big surprise in Wales. REgards Boysie

The walking stick is impressive. Getting a spindle that length smooth and straight is no easy matter. Did you use a steadY or was it thick enough not to whip?

The hollow form is a good shape but the neck, whilst good in itself is perhaps overpowering for the reasons given. When have done these I have learnt to do them seperately at first to see the proportions and then fin ish off glued into position. Sure here's other ways as well.

pete

Hi Boysie,
Yes I recon the stick will be well received and as for the H F I can only say its at the lower end of the learning curve so theres room for improvement.

Hi Pete,
The hollow form was made and the neck done separately. However in my learning curve I glued it on and then finished it off to what I thought seemed right in my ignorance. But we all have to start somewhere and it was made to enter in the clubs competition last week.
As for the stick no i don't have a steady yet but will be fabricating one in due course. There was some whip I must admit so after I had taken the corners off with a very sharp roughing gouge and then followed up with a skew I steadied the stick with my hand. I then evened out any small blemished with various grades of abrasive paper until I was satisfied with the end result.
The end justified the means.
Regards,
Ian

Back