Two Cherries mortice chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got or ever used Two Cherries mortice chisels http://www.fine-tools.com/G10018.htm ? I’ve already got a set of 6 Two Cherries bevel chisels which I am really pleased with, but am now looking for some mortice chisels and was wondering how they mortice chisel were? I was either considering Two Cherries Chisels or Robert Sorby (boxwood sash) mortice chisels? The Two Cherries Chisel look so chunky, which to be honest is slightly putting me off!? :?

Cheers All :)

The Two Cherries Chisel look so chunky, which to be honest it slightly putting me off

Would chunky not be better in the case of mortice chisels? I was going to ask about mortice chisels myself so I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I did notice thet Axminster don't stock very many when looking before.

Yeah your right, but they look massive, and might effect how easy they are to use / your control?!
But then I'm new to this whole game, so I might wrong?!

No expert either, only know that the stronger the chisel is the more wood you can remove quickly. When I do get mortice chisels I'll get ones with a ferrile at the mallet end which is something Robert the "Sorby (boxwood sash) mortice chisels" you mention don't have, have a look at item 284 here (Scroll down to the picture, double hooped ash handle) this is the type I'd get, I'll let someone else advise us on the quality of Robert Sorby mortice chisels though. But based on a complete absence of advice I'd be more inclined to get the two cherries ones based on comments regarding their respective beveled chisels.
I suspect a lot of members here have mortice machines so they don't have any good old acoustic (Unplugged :D ) mortice chisels which is why the comments are slow to come.

I have a set of the sorby mortise chisels. They do not have ferrules on top however the wood is very tough. I think its boxwood. I've only ever used a wooden mallet or a rubber deadblo mallet. I suspect a steel hammer might do some damage.

One thing I've heard mentioned about the Sorby's here was that the first bit of metal near the blade tends to be inconsistent, and you have to hone through it before you hit the harder metal. I haven't noticed that with mine.

If I had to do it over again I would probably get the two cherries cause I have the bench chisels and like them a lot.

Also I will add that out of 5 mortise chisels one of the handles formed a crack after about a year. Its more cosmetic than anything though.

Nads":2f3b929d said:
am now looking for some mortice chisels and was wondering how they[2 cherries] mortice chisel were?
Cheers All :)

Unless you're planning to do a lot of serious morticing, I'd scrounge up some car boot firmers, and see how ya' go.

Modern mortice chisels are expensive, and/or of "questionable" performance.

Unless you just want to get rid of money, in which case IIRC Ray Iles does some monsters.

Can't find an English Site off hand, here's some info

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merc ... gory_Code=

BugBear

Back