Two Cherries chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post :D

Im 16 years old and i have finished school and i have taken up cabinet making/polishing at collage after being inspired by New Yankee workshop 8)

I took wood work at school and i have been on a few 1on1 courses involving wood turning etc..
I have been doing it for about a year, i made a few projects at collage (Bedside cabinet - console table)

anyway.. ill cut it short lol

Im going to buy my own set of chisels to use at collage, and i have been googling around looking for a good qaulity set and i came across this brand and i was wondering if they are any good and would id be worth buying some.
There quite pricy compared to other sets i must say :shock:

if anyone has any info it would be gladly appreciated,

here is the website im would be purchasing them from :

http://www.fine-tools.com/stemmb.htm

Jez

hi jez, i have a few of those chislels, (by the way the actual trading name of them is Kirschen). I find them very good, excellent quality steel wich holds an edge for ages. They are completely polished all round so they dont require any work before you use them. Actually one of the worst accidents I had was using one of these, nearly lost tip of finger as they can be sharpened razor sharp. One of those lessons that always teaches you to keep your hands behind the cutting edge!!

Welcome to the forum Jez

I have just bought a set of those chisels, They are called Kirschen on the Axminster website. I have not had a chance to use my own set yet but I have used them at college for 2yrs and find them very good. They have had good revies on this forum also. I am sure if you search for Kirschen you will find lots of info.

I think it's great you want to get into woodworking at a young age... I wish i had!

:wink:

Thanks for the info, justing telling me about axminsters website is a huge help.
I'll get them from that website to save me ordering them from Germany.
I try to watch my fingers at all times :x lol

Thanks again

Hi Jez,

Can't help you regarding the chisels, but I can say welcome to the Forum. So, welcome to the Forum!

Jez":g0dbm2ia said:
...... justing telling me about axminsters website is a huge help.

Hey, you wait until you get their catalogue. :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks trev

just ordered the catalogue :D didn't see the option untill you told me :shock: lol

Jez":3i8hx4us said:
just ordered the catalogue :D didn't see the option untill you told me :shock: lol
Welcome to the forum, Jez. Trev might have been kinder to advise you not to order the catalogue - how's the bank balance? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I've got those exact chisels and I'm pretty happy with them.

Welcome to the forum.

Adam

Hi jez,

These are good chisels with great edge holding. They will still likely need flattening when you get them though, mine did and so did other peoples that i know. But its the same with all chisels no matter the price. For the money they're an excellent buy!

Don't look at the rest of the catalogue though, it'll take you in and spit you out a much poorer person :wink:

Leaving it casually lying around for parents to see at christmas is a great idea though :ho2

AndyC":gtksqov8 said:
Hi jez,

Leaving it casually lying around for parents to see at christmas is a great idea though :ho2

Especially if you turn over a few key page corners and highlight a few items!

Welcome to the forum...those chisels are on my Santa list as well :lol:

I might have to do that :p

Im having a double garage being built for my workshop at the moment and eventually im going to have to get some machinary :) :twisted:

lol

I have a set of those chisels, the ones with the octagonal handle style. They are excellent, I work in Oak 90% of the time they hold a very good edge.

Don't be fooled by the polished back, they still need to be flattened properly ;)

Enjoy your life in the wonderful world of woodworking:)

I've been using these chisels for about 3 months now and have to say they are excellent. It took me no longer than about 2 hours to flatten, hone and sharpen them to a razors edge and i've only had to lightly tickle them every couple of weeks or so - they are indeed an excellent purchase for the money and I would definitly buy another set if my got lost or stolen. I would advice getting the box-set from axminster, its a nice box and keeps the chisels safe.

Back