Two Bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galwayworker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, here are two pieces that I have turned recently and I have some questions.

The first bowl is Padauk (130mm diameter, 165mm high). I did some coves by eye on the outside of the bowl, sanded down to 320 grit and finished with walnut oil. A tough wood to turn and the dust gets everywhere… I was wondering should I have tried to fill the grain before finishing as the grain is very open.

Padauk02resize.jpg

Padauk03resize.jpg

The second bowl is sycamore (140mm diameter, 160mm high). Again I sanded down to 320 grit and finished with walnut oil. I cut the blank from an air dried board and I was wondering if the black staining in the bowl is from water staining on the rough board? I’m happy with the wall thickness as this is the first bowl I have turned by myself with such a thin wall.

SycamoreBowl03side02resize.jpg

SycamoreBowl03topresize.jpg

Any comments appreciated….

J.B.

The second I like - it's a nice simple shape that shows off the beauty of the wood.

The first I don't like. I'm not convinced by the coves nor the underlying basic shape of the bowl - I think it's a little wide at the base and so the sides are too steep.

Pete,

I agree with you on the first bowl. I don't think I have the shape quite right. I think the photographs distort the bowl profile but yes the sides are too steep and I think the coves are too wide but it does feel nice to hold as your fingers grip into the coves.

I will put it down as a test piece and maybe I’ll have another go with this form at a later stage.
Thanks for the comments

I too like the second one best.
The black staining may well be water marks, as I have some sycamore blanks air-drying just now, and there are black marks appearing on them where there was most moisture to begin with.

The first one may have looked better if the coves were smaller & combined with some beads.

As always, just my opinion.
I'm still only a beginner - what do I know anyway? lol

JB

Why did you stop at 320 when sanding , the finer the finish you require the higher / finer up the grit list you need to go

Also if you wet sand with oil the slurry you produce helps to fill the grain

Regarding the coves , I think it would have worked if the outside had more of a radius to it

Re the sycamore dark marks

Aparently its important when the tree is first felled to stand it upright or these dark marks appear

I normally only use sycamore when colouring texturing burning carving etc

Hi Blister,

Simple answer on the 320 grit..... it's all that I had at the time :oops: I must stock up on some more grits. Have to say that I really like Sycamore for turning. Then again I'm still new to turning but it is my favorite so far :D

Here is another Sycamore bowl that I have done.

SN203197resize.jpg

SN203195resize.jpg

J.B , done a great job with these two ,nice shape and finish
They say it gets easier, I often wonder when :lol:

Wow! That last bowl is stunning, maybe it's the lighting but it's looks like it glows! Looks really great.

Back