Two bowls and a box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
Been busy with family things and other distractions to take up my time instead of being on the forum. So the sum total for the last couple of weeks are these two bowls and a decorative metal lidded box.
This bowl is made of tulip wood, turned and carved with with a mini arbortec and dyed with spirit stain.
Picture083.jpg

Picture085.jpg

This bowl is a commision from the "Domestic Engineer" who's friend is retiring at the end of the week. Really nice piece of Elm.
Picture087.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Picture089.jpg

and finally a Cocobolo box with decorative metal lid.
Picture081.jpg

Picture082.jpg

What do you think?
Regards,
Ian

The Elm commission from the boss is excellent, clean lines showing off the wood to maximum effect, the Cocobola is finished with it's usual fine grained solid polished look. I think this timber always looks heavy and matches it's physical characteristics well.

Not so keen on the tulip wood one, just a personal preference.

I like the outside of the first one but it doesn't work with the inside. I think it needed to be a dark wood with the blue outside.

The 2nd one is a nice and simple design and finished well.

The metal lid on the box does nothing for me but the general shape is nice. Not sure about Cocobolo. Will have to try that one day.

Hi Chas and Tom,
Thank you for your comments. I must agree that the tulip wood was not easy to work with as it pulps really easily as can be seen in odd places.
This was my interpretation of a demo bowl made by Les Thorne at the Spalding Show and presented to my daughters. His was in ash and I will not be repeating the tulip wood as its too soft for the arbortec and rags.
Fare comment Tom about the lid these are all to different peoples tastes and I fully understand. Have you got your red devil yet?
Regards
Ian

The elm piece is a very attractive piece of turning - it's one of those pieces that just "looks right" :D
Love the cocobolo box as well; shape and style work well,and the finish on it looks like glass.
I like the inside of the tulipwood bowl - personal preference would have been to see the outside of the bowl match the inside,but hell,if you never try,you never learn anything - so well done for doing it anyway :wink:

Andrew

Hi Andrew and Rich,
Andrew thanks for your comments and I do agree if you never try different techniques you cannot move on and progress with your knowledge of the hobby.
Rich I was looking for an ideal bowl blank and pulled this one out of the pile to have a look and even rough sawn and waxed it showed a lovely grain pattern so I thought thats got to be the one for a present.
Regards,
Ian

Hi Paul,
Thank you for your comments and yes the elm is certainly a stunner. I only had to give it a light sanding as the finished result came almost straight off the gouge and you could see it was a super piece of timber.
Regards,
ian

I like the elm bowl very much, Ian. Lovely oiece of wood shown off well by the simple shape and clean lines of the bowl.

I like the outside of the carved & stained bowl, but not the inside - as has been mentioned before they don't really go together. I also think the way the carving intrudes into the rim of the bowl looks a bit awkward - not sure how this could be improved, maybe carry the carving/stain across the rim as well?

The cocobola box is a nice shape, but I'm personally not keen on the metal lid.

tekno.mage

Love the elm Bowl, also the cocabolo box. Would prefer a lid of the same wood or better still contrasting wood.

John. B

As has been said by just about everyone that Elm bowl is really nice Ian.

I'm not keen on the tulip wood one, I think whoever it was suggested the rim be stained was probably on the right track. The carving looks a bit random too but I'm sure future versions will improve.

JT

Hi All,
Thank you all for your comments and sorry for the delay in getting back on.
TM it is debatable where to stop the random carving and it was my first experiment with this style of output.
Loz pleased you like the shape of the elm.
John I have found that the metal lids are very popular and sell first against a pot one.
Hi Johnny yes I will be trying to improve the technique with the arbortec and the staining.
Hi Gandy you really need to try some cocobolo for your tubes they would look really stunning as would pink tulip wood. I wonder if you ever get allergic reactions with your clients?
Regards to you all and thank you for your constructive comments.
Ian

yes and no, others as well as myself have spent hours and days looking up woods and cheaking them with a list of "unsafe" woods to use for anything that touches skin, most times when you read about a toxic wood, there talking about the dust, like gaboon ebony, really bad to breath the dust in and yet its the safest ebony to use for jewellery, but being oragnic some people will have a allergic reaction to a "safe wood" but it dosnt happon often, but useing unsafe but quite pretty woods for inlays is more than fine, and thats what gets done, in my eyes, an ebony eyelet inlayed with some cocobolo would look quite nice

Latest posts

Back