Two bit bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased this Mallee burr a few years ago with the intention of turning two bowls in it this is my first attempt at this design bowl it is 11" x 7" x 1 1/8" all comments welcome

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 857
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 857
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 856
That's a beauty, max points on that offset turning, I can imagine how much time you spent playing with clamps to convince that little fella to stay put where you wanted it.

I had to make some fixings out of some maple to go on my Lge button jaws so that flatten of the bottom which had grown all uneven as mother nature had intended then mounted it on two small home made faceplate's to turn the two feet

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 841
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 841
woodyturner":26sk7kbu said:
I purchased this Mallee burr a few years ago with the intention of turning two bowls in it this is my first attempt at this design bowl it is 11" x 7" x 1 1/8" all comments welcome

That is gorgeous, woody, I am going resist the temptation to say that with a couple of bits of string it could be adorn a young lady. Doh! too late.

Really nice woody.

Regards

Hi Woody really very well done are you sure your first time? Ha Ha only joking well done Kind Regards Roger C

The Eriba Turner":1bviav5n said:
Hi Woody, that is lovely! What speed did you turn it at?
Regards Keith
Hi Keith I'm not sure about the speed as my lathe doesn't have a digital read out on the V/S but I would say about 5 to 600 RPM to eliminate the vibration

I have spent the last day or so wondering what I was looking at and why everyone was praising pictures of two tenons and some homemade faceplates!!

Only today have I discovered that foe some obscure reason, my browser managed to start showing only the top half of the post :shock:

So I have finally seen the actual bowl and its rather good isn't it? Strangely, I find myself more impressed with the technical achievement that the aesthetic result but then I have wierd tastes and a warped sense of attractiveness (sorry dear). It is a fabulous bit of wood though.

So I don't think I will try this at home but appreciate the skill involved. As one of the regular contributors to the WOW site says "kudos" :D

Back