TV Table completed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John PC

Reaction score
The history of this project.
Back to last December I decided to install a 65" tv between two walls. No TV table required, but there was a big gap behind somewhere for small children to make a den, which I did not want. So I had to make some sort of a screen. It needed to be oval, I could not think of any other symmetrical shape that would fit at the 30% angle.

SN854520.JPG

It needed to be in Mahogany finish to match the rest of the room and my Bang & Olufsen music centre and designed in the style of B&O.
After a long search I decided the correct finish was no longer being made. My only other option was to repurpose an item of 1990s furniture and I found one similar to this for £10 on Facebook. The steel near the radio was also used. Sorry having trouble inserting image.

Before and after.
SN854612 (1).JPG

SN854616.JPG

Last edited:
This is similar to the display case that I made the table out of.

Some pictures of the completed unit, built in the style of B&O.
SN854605.JPG
SN854609.JPG

Attachments

• SN854557.JPG
    SN854557.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 10
  • SN854606.JPG
    SN854606.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 10
I should say this is my first attempt at furniture making since leaving school nearly 50 years ago. The table I made then is still in our bedroom. The only power tools used were my drill and a borrowed Jigsaw and "multitool" which I used for sanding. Anyone with all the tools could have made it in a fraction of the time it took me.

looks good John and it doesent matter how long it took to make, the important thing is that you enjoyed making it and are happy with the finished piece :)

Thank you Mark, nothing like having the right setup and I have nothing like the right setup for woodworking. This is the engineering bench I used and covered it with a work top offcut. I don't have a drill press so to keep the drill bit perpendicular I made this in a lath and also use the V block for larger bits. The sanding block was made to sand the edges vertical. I had a three inch
SN854622.JPG
SN854623.JPG
SN854625.JPG
SN854618.JPG
hole to make in the hardboard back no hole cutter of the right size. So I dusted the cobwebs of this bit, anyone still use them? I had to use the washer to stop the centre pulling a hole out of the wood before the outside of the hole was cut.

John.

Look at it this way John , your set up may not be ideal but that will only improve with time If you can produce pieces like you have with what you have got now , then just think of what you will be able to achieve when you get kitted out (y):)

Thank you all for your kind comments, I was pleased how it all went, one part could have been better, the weather it was very cold in the workshop in February in the UK.

The most difficult part was fixing the back on. I had got enough of the reclaimed hardboard for one back so no mistakes and it was the exact length required. 90% of fixing the back was easy, but at the ends the curve in the hardboard had increased to a 3 inch radius. Anyway I managed it without it splitting.

I needed some 3mm U section aluminium to edge the hardboard but nobody makes u section in that size. I ended up buying this ANODISED Aluminium Carpet Edge Nosing Profile Cover Strip Door Floor BAR Trim 900mm x 14mm x 8mm C24 Silver: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools actually its the 3mm version that I bought. I had to cut two strips off the piece to get the desired U section. There was enough to make both ends with about 0.5mm extra.

John.

Back