TV Stand in Ash and Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete W":1z7v8x92 said:
I bought the smallest size, which might help with the drilling problem since it's not nearly such a large bit; I was (am) thinking about using them as an exposed joint in box-making and other small stuff.

I think the small version would have got more use from me, if I'd opted for that instead. This is the first piece I have made large enough to really justify their size. I may invest in a smaller set if and when I feel rich enough.

The alternative to clamps would be to screw it together with just a couple of screws on each major "edge", drill all the remaining dowels positions inbetween and glue them in along that edge, leave overnight, then remove the screws, drill the now visible screw holes and replace with dowels. That would require a lot less clamps!

Adam

Adam

This looks great and thanks for all the pics - took a long time to load but worth it.

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling disappointed that you haven't stained it black like we all know TV stands should be! :wink:

Cheers

Tim

Adam":2e2o6a9x said:
I think the small version would have got more use from me, if I'd opted for that instead.
Ditto. I think I might be less critical of the finish too, if it was a darn sight smaller :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Adam,

Very nice.

Do you think the Miller dowels will expand/contract at a different rate to the surrounding wood? I have used ramin dowels on oak on a number of pieces before and they have all raised slightly. I look at this as a feature rather than problem though.
I seem to remember Ercol producing furniture some years ago with exposed dowels that were finished to a very flat pyramid shape thereby hiding any possible future expansion.

Andy

Hi Adam
can I add my appreciation of your work and thanks for the trouble you have gone to so we can see the full build, it is just what novice like me needs for inspiration, BTW is that a double exposure on the castor or was it spinning when the picture was taken, great effect

Thanks Nigel

Nigel":2g3kc1wf said:
BTW is that a double exposure on the castor or was it spinning when the picture was taken, great effect
Thanks Nigel

<insert geek answer here>Neither! I took it on a digital camera, stood on a tripod. I switched out the flourescent light immediately above it, leaving only the two pairs shining furthest away. (making the workshop much darker) I used a delay timer to trigger the exposure and then played with exposure/apeture times to get a resonable brightness. I found I needed 8 seconds at F7.9

During that time, I was able to just turn it round with my finger, without it appearing on the image, as the top is overexposed and washed out. I had to be pretty quick though!

I wondered if I was wasting my time, but it was good practice using the camera in fully manual mode, and someone noticing is a double bonus :D. I'd be inclined to use this "double exposure" effect in the future - now I've mastered it. I realise you could probably do it easier on a PC by merging two images - but where's the fun in that :shock:

Adam

Back