TV problem oddity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Samsung TV in the bedroom, the other day it suddenly stopped responding to the remote control, so of course suspected the batteries, changed them but nothing

Then tried the buttons on the TV, only to find they were the same, I looked up the codes for a factory reset but couldn't get them to work

After much googling and a few attempts to reset I found a clue in one post about the TV buttons, it suggested disconnecting them, which I did and it works as well as it did before on the remote

Who uses the TV buttons anyway

Unfortunately the only downside is the TV has started to make a musical sound when you switch it on, tried all the instructions for switching the starting up sound off to no avail

I can't see how the buttons could be a factor, but ordered a new switch board as it was only £16

Anyone else come across a similar thing?

I have a Samsung TV in the bedroom, the other day it suddenly stopped responding to the remote control, so of course suspected the batteries, changed them but nothing

Then tried the buttons on the TV, only to find they were the same, I looked up the codes for a factory reset but couldn't get them to work

After much googling and a few attempts to reset I found a clue in one post about the TV buttons, it suggested disconnecting them, which I did and it works as well as it did before on the remote

Unfortunately the only downside is the TV has started to make a musical sound when you switch it on, tried all the instructions for switching the starting up sound off to no avail

I can't see how the buttons could be a factor, but ordered a new switch board as it was only £16

Had this with mine and a new remote did the trick

You'd have to ask the person who wrote the firmware, but I'd guess that one of the buttons was stuck in the make condition, and the firmware prioritised buttons over remote commands.

Yes that sounds about right, why it suddenly gave up when those buttons aren't touched is another matter

I hope a new set will resolve the problem, otherwise I will just use the remote and put up with the stupid noise on starting

Why do they even do that I can't see a reason for it

Well , I had the problem with a remote, it refused to function.
It was for a brand new audio unit, stored for several years so no warranty.
Googled for a replacement
Got what I thought was an OEM, but was in fact one of those programmable ones so some stated buttons did other functions and some functions were lost.
I found one interesting site and video how stated the following.
1.Remove batteries from Remote
2. Press and hold each button in turn for 10 seconds.
3. Replace batteries
4. Try remote.
It actually worked
I'll try and find link to site and video.

Similar video link, not thecone i used

There are also videos which show how to open up remote and clean the pcb contacts with a cleaner

Interesting. I can see how removing the battery might help fix a CMOS latch up (is that still a thing these days), but pressing and holding each button for ten seconds, on a keypad that's almost certainly a scanned matrix? That sounds like black magic.

Thanks for yours, but in my case its nothing to do with the remote, it was/is the switch pack on the TV, now removed the remote works fine, whether a replacement switch pack will return the TV to normal is a matter to find out when it gets here ;-)

A lot of problems do stem from the remotes but not in my case, thanks though

Well , I had the problem with a remote, it refused to function.
It was for a brand new audio unit, stored for several years so no warranty.
Googled for a replacement
Got what I thought was an OEM, but was in fact one of those programmable ones so some stated buttons did other functions and some functions were lost.
I found one interesting site and video how stated the following.
1.Remove batteries from Remote
2. Press and hold each button in turn for 10 seconds.
3. Replace batteries
4. Try remote.
It actually worked
I'll try and find link to site and video.

Back