TV licence requirements

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rorschach":c8giig43 said:
Get rid of it, use a streaming service (other other methods if you are that way inclined) and watch what you want on your own terms when you want it. ....

That's the problem. I agree that there is a lot of dross. LOML usually goes through the RadioTimes each morning and flags things up that she wants recorded and other stuff that we both might like to see. I'll have a flick through for stuff I'd like to see. But true there is very little but what there is, you won't get on Netflix.

The BBC has some very fine programmes as do the others from time to time.

In Canada we have not got a " TV licence" ,but , since watching at set times is a hassle I use a site on the internet called Couchtuner. They offer on demand of a huge number of broadcast programs and keep previous episodes for full seasons, some back to their inception. Just google to find it , might be a way to get most of what's worth while for gratis.
Mike

The problem with that is one of Intellectual Property Rights. From The High Society.com:

CouchTuner is a pirate site, and all of their TV episodes appear to be illegal. This can result in legal repercussions for you depending on where you live. ... In the United States and Europe, you could potentially face criminal charges or be sued for streaming TV shows that you know are pirated.5 Jul 2018
https://thehightechsociety.com/thehightechsociety.com › couchtuner

Saw this in the newspaper today
7acfd861ba0853925d986631bc6b2c29.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Radio? They'll never be able to charge for that, how would they enforce it? They can't enforce TV watching unless you admit to breaking the law so it would have to be same, except every car on the road would be a potential law breaker :lol:

The BBC knows what is coming, they just want to delay things as much as possible.

Imagine if everyone had to pay for Netflix even if they don't want it... That's the BBC. I hope they move to a subscription/on demand model. I may actually buy a few things as opposed to nothing right now.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

RogerS":lzrebq1k said:
Rorschach":lzrebq1k said:

The BBC knows what is coming, they just want to delay things as much as possible.

And long may they do so.

A world only of Netflix? No thank you.

That's fine if you want BBC then you pay for it, plenty of people don't want it but are forced, or rather coerced into paying for it.

Both of course valid opinions. I don’t object to paying the licence, - I suppose I’ve just got used to it over the years.

Those darling tories seem to have the knife out for the Beeb and I think it highly unlikely it will survive in the medium term (who will pay the licence fee if they stop enforcing it?).

I object far more to paying road tax when they don’t fixed the ******* holes in the road!

kevinlightfoot":36l1uldz said:
I am quite happy to pay the licence fee.I listen to radio quite a lot ,watch plenty of television,especially in the winter and consider in the most part that the B.B.C. deliver a good service as for the celebrities pay packets they have always been far too high.Tony Blackburn does three shows a week which are well worth the£3 a week licence fee .I know I could listen to them for free because for many years we haven't needed a licence to just listen to radio,but what would fund the many excellent radio shows( not counting the squeaky little voice of Graham Norton can't stand the man) that the B.B.C. produce I personally think it's a good deal.But the world will always be full of freeloaders.
Its nothing to do with freeloading why I resent paying the license and I think your damned rude. I'm pleased you feel you're getting good value for money I on the other hand don't buts what's even worse is I have no choice in the matter of whether to pay up or not. Its time it was scrapped and turned to a subscription channels giving people choice. Pay you watch no freeloaders allowed :wink:

stuartpaul":3e71608z said:
Both of course valid opinions. I don’t object to paying the licence, - I suppose I’ve just got used to it over the years.

Those darling tories seem to have the knife out for the Beeb and I think it highly unlikely it will survive in the medium term (who will pay the licence fee if they stop enforcing it?).

I object far more to paying road tax when they don’t fixed the pineapple holes in the road!

It's not really enforced now, it isn't a criminal matter it's a civil matter and you can only be prosecuted if you are stupid enough to incriminate yourself.

Rorschach":1qeqgohh said:
stuartpaul":1qeqgohh said:

I object far more to paying road tax when they don’t fixed the pineapple holes in the road!

It's not really enforced now, it isn't a criminal matter it's a civil matter and you can only be prosecuted if you are stupid enough to incriminate yourself.
I thought it was criminal, hence the current government review into decriminalisation...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The TV licence started in 1946 when there was but one channel in the UK (BBC). Owning a TV was the preserve of only the very wealthy.

In 2020 TV ownership is just about 99%+ universal. There are huge numbers of alternative broadcasters and multitudinous separate radio and TV channels. TVs are affordable by almost everyone.

The remit of the BBC needs thorough review to keep it relevant - it currently seems to have its roots in the 1980s. We need to question whether a tax/state funded broadcaster should fill the airways with repeats, trivia, and programming similar to that provided by other media companies (radio and TV).

The licence fee is now nothing more or less than a tax. It would make very good sense to rid ourselves of the administration and costs of enforcement by funding it through taxation as all other public expenditure.

My own view is that programming should be drastically reduced to retain only those which are of internationally recognised quality and reputation - eg: news, quality drama, natural history, childrens TV, documentaries.

Rorschach":r2rqzc2f said:
stuartpaul":r2rqzc2f said:

Most definitely criminal not civil. There may well be less enforcement now but that doesn’t alter that fact.

Yup, Stuart. Spot on

Currently, a person who installs uses a television receiver or watches content on BBC iPlayer without a TV licence is guilty of a criminal offence. This is known as TV licence evasion. TV licence evasion in and of itself is not an imprisonable offence and will not lead to a criminal record in most cases. However, non-payment of the fine imposed, following a criminal conviction, could lead to a risk of imprisonment.

The BBC, operating under its trademark TV Licensing, is responsible for collecting and enforcing the TV licence. It uses a range of methods to encourage people who require a TV licence to purchase one; it says that imprisonment is a ‘last resort’ option for the court where all other methods of enforcement have been unsuccessful.2

Even then, imprisonment, where there has been a default in the payment of a fine, will only occur following a formal inquiry into the offender’s ability to pay.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... ce-evasion

Ok it is is a criminal offence, a criminal offence that doesn't have prison time and doesn't go on your criminal record, sounds awfully like a civil offence already to me. You can also only be prosecuted if you admit the offence. Pretty pointless.

The Greek system is to include the cost in the electricity bill - a reasonable assumption that people without electricity are probably not watching television, and that people who do have electricity are probably watching it. No choice to opt out. They also collect local taxes the same way. The big difference is the cost: I haven't looked recently, but I think the TV licence portion is something like €2 per month.

Of course the BBC is the propaganda arm of the government, despite all the feeble claims of impartiality. Will the government want to give up the potential for social control, thought police enforcement system, news suppression, narrative control etc? I think not.

Trainee neophyte":24d98vzc said:
Of course the BBC is the propaganda arm of the government, despite all the feeble claims of impartiality. Will the government want to give up the potential for social control, thought police enforcement system, news suppression, narrative control etc? I think not.

You see if you are a supporter of the government you see the BBC as always criticising them, and if you support the opposition you see them as government propaganda. I have friends who swear blind the BBC is left wing and Tory hating, I also have friends who swear blind the BBC are right wing and Labour hating.
Their impartial stance means they are criticised by both sides.
I don't hate that part of them and think they are fairly middle of the road in most of their reporting, they do hate Trump though and they are far too "woke" to survive much longer. Go woke go broke.

Back